Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11331 04/27/01 06:51 AM
OP Offline

This is to Paul Scheele in particular. Paul, I seem to remember that you said that you were given the task to come up with a ground-breaking speed reading course t hat led to the creation of photoreading. You also say that you found what gets people out of stuck states. Well, now I pose the chellenge to you to find out what gives people photographic memory and to produce a course that can get people there. Don't say you can't! If you say that, then all the stuff about focussing on goals and getting there in the end etc is worth nothing! I seem to remember someone saying on a coaching session that If any one can do it then maybe ANYONE can do it." Come on Paul! Give the people what they want! If anyone can, you can..... or maybe you've given up???

#11332 04/27/01 08:20 PM

If a photographic memory is what you want, I'm sure you can figure out how to do it. Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right. Don't wait for someone to hand it to you on a silver platter.

And don't insult Paul. There's no one who can negate the value of what he's done and what he's doing.

[This message has been edited by NiJuIchi (edited April 27, 2001).]

#11333 04/28/01 04:49 AM
OP Offline

Konnichi wa NiJuIchi! Genki?
It's not an insult to Paul Scheele. On the contrary, it's an exhultation! I believe that Paul Scheele is maybe the only person who can really work out what it is that helps us develop a photographic memory and design a programme to do just that!

#11334 04/28/01 04:57 AM

I think developing a photographic memory is a little more complicated and difficult than what could ever be fully covered by some taped "course". By difficult I mean it would take considerable time, effort and perseverance to truly develop. A course might be presented that could lay the groundwork but it would be too passive to ever lead a person to such an accomplishment.

I personally have some ideas on what it might require but I must add that I've never really persued the subject full force and these are basically permature conjectures.

First of all, I believe the more powerful a persons concentration ability, the more powerful their memory. I've often been amazed and a little concerned to so rarely encounter anyone involved in accelerated learning singing the praises of concentration. It seems to be almost ignored or at most briefly acknowledged as one of the "numerous" abilities to work on. I think its the key to unlocking all of our mental capacities. "How", you ask? Let me explain.

Raja Yoga is an Indian system of mental development. Concentration is recognized as a threefold process called Samayama. At first one has to constantly bring their wandering attention back to the particular object of concentration. Eventually the mind steadies on the object and all distractions disappear. Its almost like you keep bringing your attention to the object every second, giving the impression of continuity. Upto and including this stage their is a fundamental distinction between the yogi, the subject, and the object of his focus. The next phase is the elimination of this duality and the yogi's subjective awarness merges with the object of contemplation. When this merging is complete, the yogi gains complete knowledge and psychic mastery of the object (or what the object represents).

Now, in this system the object of concentration doesn't have to be external to one's mind. It can in fact be a mental ability or process. So why not make it "memory"?

I think for starters a person would really need to study their memory, really observe the internal process of remembering. Practice recalling things but don't worry about the content, focus on the process. Once you get a feel for this process start amplifying it, feel it even stronger in you mind. Meditation on that feeling may eventually lead to "realizing" you memory and completely mastering it.

To strenghen the visual aspect you're obviously going to have to practice visualization. Why not put a big white letter on black background, stare at it for a while and then practice holding the afterimage in you mind. Or just closely examine something and then try to see it in your mind'd eye. These exercises will strenghen concentration as well as visualization ability.

These are just ideas. I'd love to hear some others as I am pretty interested in this subject too.

#11335 04/28/01 05:22 AM
OP Offline

Hi Prathiba. I am trying something with New behavior Generator at the moment. It's just an idea I have. If it works at all, I'll let you and everyone else know.
I read something somewhere on the intenet that said that at some early stage in life we made a choice about how to code things and that was what led to, or didn't lead to, as the case maybe, photographic memory. If I remember correctly, what the guy said was that in order to function in daily conciousness, we had to make our memories feel "unreal". The people who chose to leave these memories as concrete experiences could access them in full.
I am sure that somewhere there must be a key to unlocking this.
Regards

#11336 04/30/01 08:35 AM

If this is true then it is definitly worth checking out. . .
www.ycsi.net/users/ipainc//cgcover.html

The memory and math links are thought provoking, to say the least . And tell me that "bit" learning isn't just photoreading.

#11337 04/30/01 02:00 PM

Pratibha that is a great web site. I wish that I had known about it 2 years ago. (My daughter is now two) I am wondering if that would help adults whos left brain has become dominate?

#11338 05/01/01 09:40 AM

Snooks, I wouldn't think your daughter is too old to start on something like that. Did you read all the various articles? She'll be right brain dominate until age seven. . . thats plenty of time! Just think, you could give her a photographic memory, encyclopedic knowledge and the ability to do complex caluculations instantly! What a start.

I think most definitly it is pertinent to adults. We know how to activate our "right" brain -- its called alpha state. I think if as adults we did similar practices as the children while we are in a deep alpha state it'd be just the same. That site also really piqued my interest and faith in image streaming. Really bring that right brain back to life !

#11339 05/01/01 02:09 PM

I do not think that it is too late. I just would like to have started it earlier. I am truly interested in the math portion of the web site. I love the idea of the bit cards that help our right mind do math. (must be the accountant in me trying to come out) I have already downloaded cards one through fifty. Has anyone tried the program? I would love to know what they think of it.

#11340 05/02/01 02:49 AM

The math dots really interested me as well. Recently I've been planning on writing a program that would simulate the math dot cards. Its interesting because I had planned this before ever even knowing about these dot games. My first exposure to this concept was from a little blue book called "Raja Yoga". It describes a game for improving the mind where you essentially flip dominoes over and call out how many dots you see. As you get faster, you flip more dominoes at a time and can group larger collection of dots in a glance. Instead of seeing 3 + 4 + 5 + 4, you see 7 + 9 and so on. After about one week I was flipping 10-12 dominoes at a time and calling out a correct answer within about 2 seconds. I was totally surprised at such rapid progress.

What was really fascinating was when I tried to call out an answer before I had consciously added them together. In essence as soon as I flipped them I'd guess. 80% of the time I was no more than 2 or 3 off, often getting the correct answer. Makes you wonder about all that subconscious mumbo jumbo. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved