Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55549 08/06/06 06:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 65
Member
Member

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 65
My intuition has been guiding me to take up a martial art in conjunction with my SFQ practice. I have little past experience or training (though I've started practicing punches and kicks for exercise). When I asked Jim Nance about this subject at the level III workshop, he recommended Tai Chi and said it's preferrable to learn from a spiritually advanced teacher with very purified energy rather than books or videos. But I'm not sure if that's possible for me since I live in a rural area (though I sometimes receive "visits" and help from such teachers in my dreams).

I'm considering ordering one of the many martial arts videos created by Master Zhang (one of Chunyi Lin's teachers who he spoke very highly of in his book). I'd be grateful for any advice on this subject, including book or video recommendations.

Josiah #55550 08/06/06 11:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
Member
Member

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
I don`t know so much about Tai Chi, but I think it`s a dicipline that takes time to learn, which of course still can be just as fun as everything else.
Before I trained Karate for 2 years, and it`s very good for the mental health that too. The reason is because on this, as most of the martial arts, you exercise your inner organs, especially Solar plexus, this is something that I just could feel.
The main difference between Tai Chi and all the other Martial Arts, is the different movements compared to the others. It`s very soft movements, and according to the taoists and the yogis, these three exercises is one of the very few trainings where you don`t harm you inner organs. According to them you will actually also be harming these in methods like Karate, soccer, and whatever other trainings.
I guess the negative consequenses for the inner organs of all the different exercises can be discussed.

JohnA #55551 08/06/06 11:22 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
Member
Member

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 42
And, If you don`t use it yet, I certainly recommend Centerpointe Meditation program along with SFQ. I`ve used it for exactly 6 months, and it`s great!

JohnA #55552 08/07/06 06:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aliah Josiah,

Even being in a rural area, put it out to friends you know in more populated places to kepp an ear and eye out for you. A lot of Qigong teachers came and went through Minneapolis during a two-year stint that my aunt looked for a teacher for us. Then Chunyi showed up.

If you made it to a class to talk to Master Nance, then it means you are willing to take the steps to meet an opportunity - if needed .

Put out there what you specifically want in the teacher, systems, and as a result for yourself. Then be vigilant and and ready.

Much Love, Shawn


Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.081s Queries: 22 (0.037s) Memory: 2.9960 MB (Peak: 3.5949 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 12:00:15 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS