Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello everyone.
As someone remember I've been writting on this forum a couple times.
I tried to start PR but the real problem was that I don't have much books and I really still don't know what I need to do to practise PR.
In book "Whole Mind" there is five-days test to practise PR, but as I say - I don't have much books, and unfortunately I don't have much time. :/ But ...
I almost every day learning from my notebooks for school tests. Meaby I can use it to practise PR? But, what should I do? How can I include PR for my everyday learning to practise PR and make it better?

The problem is that I must know everything what I have in my notebook. If I PR something else this is not important that PR was dane succsessfully or not. But there I need to be sure that I know everything and I'm 100% prepared for an exam.

thanks for replays and sorry for my bad english. :/
mrKrecik

Hi.

Take your notebooks and during the prepare stage define your purpose or your goal of what you want from your notebooks.

Do your preview of the notebooks and choose 25 trigger words from your notebook. Then create mind-probing questions for your trigger words.

Photoread your notebooks.

Superread & dip & do skittering to find the answers to your mind-probing questions.Spend 30 minutes superread & dip skittering on the whole notebook.Understand that you are not going to get a lot of information on the initial or very first superread and dip. You will get more information on the next superread & dip. Do not give up so quickly because you feel you are not getting enough information. You want to try to do at least 3 different sessions of superread and dip and skittering.

After you have done your superread & dip & skittering make a mind-map of what you found on your superread & dip & put the information on the mind-map.

Take a 10 minute break & do another 30 minute superread & dip, skittering put the info on the mind-map.

Take another 10 minute break and do another 30 minute superread and dip,skittering and put the info on the mind-map.

Your total of superreading & dipping, skittering is 90 minutes with 10 minute breaks after each 30 minute superread and dip and skittering.

Photoread4me

OP Offline

Thanku you very much for answer.

I have few quastions (meaby stupid but it's really important - english language ):

a) Is that correct:
1.) Take notebook and prapare (orange etc.?)
2.) Define purpose (ex. "I want to be prepare for test")
3.) Preview and get 25 trigger words (ex. for biology : axon, synapse, homeostasis)
4.) Create mind-probing questions (ex. "What synapse doing?", "Where is axon?")
5.) Photoread the notebook.
6.) 30 min. for superread, dip and skittering on the whole notebook (I need to be sure so: can be only one section?)
7.) Make mind-map
8.) 10 min. break
9.) 30 min. for superread, dip and skittering
10.) Update created in step 7 mind-map.
11.) Repeat 2 times steps 8 - 10.

b) I know what is superread and what is dip but I haven't idea what skittering. Meaby can you tell mi where it is in book "Whole mind system" and I will try to find it in our polish version.

c) Mind map should looks like this one in the end of book "Whole mind system"?

I'm very grateful for answers.
mrKrecik

Hi.

You are going to have to treat this differently since this is schoolwork.This is not like you are activating a book like say a book on self help on time management or a book on communicating effectively.

So i will start with first photoread all your school notebooks daily for 2 weeks.Everyday photoread your notebooks for 2 weeks.

You want to treat the chapters in your notebooks as if they were a book by itself. So you treat the chapter you are activating as a little book in & of itself. When you start to activate your chapter photoread the 2 chapters before the chapter you are activating photoread the chapter you are activating & photoread the 2 chapters after the chapter you are activating.

So you do a prepare which is when you establish your purpose for the chapter you are activating. Purpose has 2 components why you need this information from the notebook & what you are going to do with this information from the notebook once you get it. How will you use this information from the notebook? How will you apply this information from the notebook?

So once you have your purpose established you do a preview & look for the trigger words of the chapter & you form mind-probing questions for the trigger words. Then you do superread and dip and or skittering to find the answers to your questions. On your superread you are going super,super fast. 4 to 15 seconds a page. Nothing longer than 15 seconds a page. If you find something that is definitely related to your purpose you of course dip or read and get the information you need then you return to superreading and continue superreading until you get the urge to dip again.After you have spent 30 minutes superreading and dipping you create your mind-map. Then take a 10 minute break. Repeat the process 3 times. In other words you are going to have 3 superreading sessions of 30 minutes each on just the one chapter you are activating. After you have completed the superread and dip and for 30 minutes you do your mind-map for about 5 or 10 minutes then take a 10 minute break then do your 2nd superread dip mind map another 10 minute break and then you do the final 30 minute superread dip & mind-map.

You asked what is skittering. Skittering is explained on pages 64 & 65 of the photoreading book 3rd edition. What skittering involves is a wild dancing about movement like that of a waterbug on the surface of a pond.This movement of the eyes gives the brain an opportunity to look at all the words in a paragraph that support its main premise.Consistent with the idea that only 4 to 11 percent of the text carries meaning, skittering over all the words lets your brain capture the important ones and feel secure in passing over the rest of them. Read the first sentence (the topic sentence) of the paragraph you are going to begin skittering on. Move your eyes in a rapid pattern over all the words in the paragraph except those in the first and last sentence noticing those words that seem to carry meaningful support to the premise in the first sentence. If the meaning of the paragraph remains unclear read the last sentence.Continue this process through each succeeding paragraph until you near the end of the reading section. Read the last few paragraphs completely. Read the summary if there is one. Review and reflect.Create a brief mindmap of your own words to describe the piece.

Superreading is much faster than skittering but skittering is excellent for dealing with material that is lengthy or instructional in nature.

You may need to do multiple passes over the material. Textbook type of material takes longer to activate due to the complexity of the material. Remember it is all about layers,making multiple passes over the material.

Photoread4me

How come nobody noticed a contradiction in a statement on a back cover of the book: 25,000 WPM, and phase 5 alone is plain rapid/speed reading which takes time and is from 400-1200 (for some 2000) WPM. It turns out that 25,000 WPM statement is a lie. Someone that uses only plain rapid/speed reading is faster (although obviously doesn't get better comprehension) than the one who uses photoreading because he has only phase 5 to do and spares time for phases 1-4.

You should make your mind up: is photoreading 25,000 WPM with 3rd phase only or is it all 5 phases with, say 1000 WPM, which is 25 times slower. The book claims that it's 25,000 with all 5 phases (the best of both worlds) which sounds like underestimating the common sense of the reader.

Sorry for my bad english, I come from Croatia, Europe.

pero2003

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

It's PhotoRead at 25,000 wpm not read at 25,000 wpm.

In most cases rapid reading is not necessary.

Skittering my not be explained in the polish version of the book if not email me.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved