Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61776 09/09/07 07:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
I've just started doing the active exercises after deciding to do the 6 day retreat in Minnesota in October.

I have a negative reaction to "going into the emptiness of the universe", or "feeling the emptiness". Intellectually, I know what this means, but on an emotional level, I have a fear reaction. Maybe based on early experiences with loneliness, isolation, alienation, etc. It feels like this negative, instantaneous reaction is blocking my ability to to engage completely and be , really "at one" with Master Lin on the DVD while we're doing the exercises together. It's kind a a paradox, eh?

I suppose I could change the word "emptiness" for myself to "at one", but I'd rather a "professional" opinion before I start messing with the recipe (which is what I do when I cook! :-) )

Shawn, any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Rachel

rachelr #61777 09/10/07 03:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aloha Rachel,

Instead of looking at the emptiness as a "not including that, or that, or that.." experience where you are isolating yourself, lets flip that around for your and look at it from the password: "I am in the universe, The universe is in my body..." There are a lot of things in the universe - you are a part of and not isolation from

Now allow yourself to be in and a part of all that. Let go of trying to wrap your mind around it, and just be in appreciation of it. Connect with the love in your heart and the universal love out there.
Now just be in that space and bring your focus to your exercises or mediations and the feeling of the energy while doing them.

Much Love, Shawn

Shawn_Grim #61778 09/10/07 11:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
I guess I'm being too "astronomical"; I think of the universe as a vast, dark, infinite, airless space with some stars and planets here and there. Maybe "emptiness" isn't the problem, but "universe".

I'll work on that at see what happens.

Thanks Shawn! I hope to see you in Plymouth!

rr

rachelr #61779 09/14/07 06:44 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aloha rachelr,

I'll see you their, and you'll get a chance to meet my wife who'll be one of the Teaching Assistant, and my son who'll stop by to remember what his parents look like while being gone for 6 days.

; )

You are never alone.


Much Love, Shawn


Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.045s Queries: 22 (0.018s) Memory: 2.9958 MB (Peak: 3.5948 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 03:35:18 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS