Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77067 11/15/10 11:12 PM
OP Offline

it seems like whenever i get into this self-improvement stuff, it gets really distracting... I always want to learn that new thing or get better at something. I want to relax and be happy at the same time as knowing a great deal... I have a craving for the ability of the correct use of 185,000 words in the dictionary. And I am wondering if I could develop a richer vocabulary if i use the dictionary as a reference or reading all the words so that if a word pops up i have some sense of familiarity so i can pick up on words quicker... I feel a need to know everything and be exceptional like a rain man and it seems to keep me off focus from my school work... I want to be focused on what matters.... it seems these little goals clog up my head and i get lots of anxiety for not completing these goals yet and it makes me feel not smart enough and lowers confidence. I use to think all this knowing should increase confidence because i know more... but i've found knowing more and stuff gives me more to worry about, but yet my desire just doesn't go away.

what should i do? i want to remain active! I go to the gym every day and run and do weight lifting and feel i am not doing enough.... I procrastinate too because of all this and causes me not to do so much work in my coursesbecause i am constantly thinking of so many things!

I found when i read less and did less i'd get higher marks.. should i not care anymore or what?

OP Offline

when i say clog my head..... I didn't have a belief of anything clogging my head and i ddin't have a believe of thinking too much is bad... This is just what i've found... How do i know if what i've found isn't a result of a "you may find yourself suggestion" like in hypnosis or NLP.

Holy do i ever have so many questions as a result of doing all this NLP stuff and self-improvement.

I bet I can list like 50 different audio books and self-improvement programs i've listened to and a lot of listened to repeatedly... i use to do self-improv on my spare time and I am trying to not do it on my spare time but my curiousity makes want to.

OP Offline

i'm thinking, anything that you do is cheap unless it has a purpose behind it...

So when it comes to gaining a new vocabulary... any words that you learn without a purpose is cheap and probably more hectic to learn without that purpose because it doesn't seap into memory as easily because there is no excitement and direction. i don't know if i am right.... maybe u people can fill me in more to this. This having to know lots and be smart is causing me alot of anxiety.

HERE!!!!: Please answer this!!! Whenever I am approached with a problem related to my field and I am not able to answer it. Even the most basic of all problems in my field and i am not able to answer it, people judge me based on the fact i can't answer a simple elementary question. This bugs me! I hate the idea of learning a whole bunch of things instead of applying and having something that works that makes money so people don't care if i make a mistake of a simple problem because i made something that makes money.... U see what i mean? Is all this just a test from people to see if i have an ego or what? or is this people trying to help me dissolve my ego? I don't know.

OP Offline

sometimes I am afraid of saying the wrong thing because i don't want to use the wrong hypnotic language... And I am conscious of hypnotic language even when i am not interested.

I sometimes wonder if the hypnosis i had from NLP at all is a good thing. because it's caused me to be more paranoid than anything.

OP Offline

i am interested in words because of what charles harrington elster in the course verbal advantage... That course is a 24 disc course that teaches u the verbs that give u an edge in vocabulary. he states that people with the highest vocabularies get the highest paying jobs... He also says that executives have vocabularies that surpass their collegues. Basically whoever has the stronger command and precision of the language gets the big job because language is the sculpture of thought and if u can express thought more accurately then u got the job...... This seems to help feed my desire for mastering a good vocabulary...

I was wondering that by having a good purpose i can develop a more powerful vocabulary anyway, because the words that i learn are more directed to my path... like words i learn in courses from school etc.... So it would be useless to do the verbal advantage course?

OP Offline

so basically if it doesn't go with the one thing i want to do with my life, then it's useless?

OP Offline

And i also think that i don't need to read the whole dictionary because i've been photoreading it and photoreading probably thousands of books in 4 years so i got a good enough grasp of the language and whatever additional words i need my unconscious will guide me because i already have all i need in my mind. all the text is implantedd in my mind deeply, 4 years is a lot of photoreading for just the samee dictionary over and over... I've probably photoread that dictionary a couple thousand times.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

It also works the other way around. People who get the highest paying jobs begin developing a different vocabulary.

Your post remind me of a Zen story. A professor finally had a chance to talk with a Zen monk he admired for being so peaceful and in control of his life. As a professor he studied the subject at length.

So when he gets a chance to have tea with this Zen monk. He starts telling the monk everything he learned. Talking non stop telling what he learned in answer to his own questions. Meanwhile the Monk is serving the tea and he pours tea into the professors cup while he's talking. Soon the cup is overflowing and the Monk keeps pouring as the professor keeps talking. Finally as tea starts spilling onto his shoes the professor stops talking and reacts, telling the monk with a start that the cup is too full.

Yes, the Monk replied. No more will go into the cup. One must empty it a bit first before you can put more in. You are full like the cup no more will go in. You need to go and use what you already learned to empty your cup. Then you will be ready to learn what I can teach you.

One thing I don't understand, Why is it so important to know all the words in the dictionary. Do you realise if you learned 5 words a day you'd know the dictionary in 10 years. I don't get what the point is.

I remember when I played with learning more words from the dictionary. I had no one to have a conversation with, they told me to speak English for goodness sake.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved