Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

I know my purpose inwardly but fail to put it into words

That's the problem. It just means you're hiding your purpose from yourself. It's the main problem we encounter.

As children we learned not to explain ourselves because we fear looking like idiots. We made mistakes but we had a reason for climbing a tree, swinging from a branch, poking holes in the walls, we wanted to see if we could do that. But the adults stood over us and asked why? Um... Yeah so they wouldn't "kill me" we usually answered I don't know because our purpose "to see if I can do it" doesn't seem so smart now that I'm standing here being told off.

So when asked why do you do that... I don't know is the automated response.

Believe me a concept or conceptual view of the dictionary is only abstract. Like trying to stick a pin in water. You can stick it anywhere and you'll have pinned the water.

So what type of words do you need to know to pass the exam? Where are they used?

Quote:
Why cant I set shallow purpose of just being aware of the words and meanings in a dictionary?

The problem is you haven't actually set that as a purpose.

Which words do you need to know the meaning of? Think of the word put it in a sentence and check it in the dictionary. Activate the traditional way one uses a dictionary. How many words do you need to know to pass? Add that to your purpose.

Do you know the specific words you need to know? A separate list? If not get hold of old test, those used in previous years and check the words there. If you've already PhotoRead the dictionary a few times use the test as activation. Write the meanings of the words you know and then go to the dictionary and check your answers. Those you got right, add to your memory web, those you got wrong, you need to create a good meaningful memory for your memory web in preparation for your exam.

Quote:
have failed to understand how do I activate any other book as well

That's because you haven't used the 5 day test yet have you? If you're learning on your own it's important to use the 5 day test on at least 5 200 page books before applying it to school work.

Quote:
So, How will one be able to find what she wants in a thick book unless she knows all of it!

That my friend is the point. The conscious mind never knows what it knows or how much it knows. When you're proficient with PhotoReading you'll apply what you learned without knowing where you learned it and if you need the information consciously, you know which book to pick up.

One of the things PhotoReaders often find is when they ask a question, grab the book they open it exactly to the page. I once gave a demonstration asking a question about memory with the PhotoReading book and just showed my students how to open the book. I did not look at the page but one of my students noted it was about memory. It's a cool experience. That goes to show how well connected the body and mind really is. Yet exploring this with our conscious mind is like looking at the world through a paper tube.

Quote:
But how do I add those thousands of words in the dictionary to my memory web!!? they arent going to get added automatically with photoreading! I will have to make thousands of associations consciously to attach them to what I already know!

They are in your memory. Use it or lose it. Just like remembering what you had for breakfast in December 18 2009. You don't remember it because it's not information you need at the tip of your tongue.

If you want to eat an elephant you take one bite at a time and memorise the meaning of 1000 words you need to create 100 or so pathway.

If I wanted to learn say 100 new words from a dictionary I'd be opening the dictionary and choosing a few each day to add to my memory web. And that need only take 5 minutes at a time. I wouldn't activate a dictionary with blocks longer than that.

Really how many of those terms do you need to know? Pick the ones relevant to the job you want to do, or relevant to the exam. Like I said, to know that look at previous exams. You won't need all of them since they won't be asking you to rewrite the book. But they will ask you the ones that were used during a section of a course or in the other study material.

You know what a dictionary is for? To look up words you don't know the meaning of when you're reading something else. If you PhotoRead it a few times you may not need to activate it at all. When you see words in financial reports they probably start making sense already.

Lets take it back first. Learn the system, learn to activate. Use the 5 day test on a couple of books not related to studying.

Reduce the number of questions, once you have 3 you have enough to start a conversation with the author.

Purpose. You don't actually need to tell us but don't be dishonest with yourself. No fancy words required. Just I'm reading this book so that I can pass the exam -- that's it in a nutshell. Then you look at the book and consider what can it tell you that will help you pass the exam? A dictionary? Might come in handy for understanding other text. SO that one I'm PhotoRead the dictionary so that I can understand the course material that I need to study better. Do I need to activate it? Only if there are words I encounter I don't understand. And perhaps words I see in the course material that might be used in the exam.

That's it PhotoRead the dictionary and then PhotoRead it again tomorrow (and again, again, again) and focus on the rest of the course. Look up words that elude you as you come across them. You activate the dictionary that way, as well as using the other text ad recognising you already understand the meaning without having to look it up.

Alternatively, you can use the activate the glossary first technique. Superread the words. Any you don't understand you dip do that a few times and you will build your vocabulary.

Alex

smile smile
Got it now!

Thank you so much!

Stweet.

the major problem with all of us ,including me,is that we say "got it now" but once we hit a hurdle we give up.Its time to experiment and look at it another way.most of the time we give up cause we want someone else to "prove " it to us.No one can.Cause reading is personal.Purely personal.We have to try.Now why should we try as PRWMS?now thats a million dollar question.Cause one thing that helped me was ---the forum.People are still around and Alex helps us immediately.Now thats where i told myself,She is authentic and real and helping people ,hammering down on us that it works !! --lets try something else this time.And things started rolling.I watched "Lincoln" the other day on TV by Spielberg.Great movie.Lincoln and his associates tried so hard to being in an amendment to treat everyone equal.Today for people who have never seen such differential treatment,who dont know history ,it looks like,wow was this real ,did people struggle so hard.And ofcourse in todays environment we do treat everyone equal(well there are conflicts still)_ well i draw this analogy to bring in the fact that a Pardaigm Shift takes time ,many times centuries.Some visionaries see things early onand bring in a system which worked for them.Similarly photoreading.Its a great way to read.I find that photoreading is the best for learning---a wonderful and perfect tool to learn and read texts and nonfiction.we are conditioned for ages to read i a particular way that the iterations we do in activation bug us ---but the promise- if we do -is so big and beautiful its only when we personally experience we get hooked on.I one day wish and pray that photoreading will be the generations natural way to read and study.And one day people will look back and say my god thats why our ancestors did not read much!!!!

The best part of photoreading for me is when we say learn a particualr subject.For me its finance.all other books in the world just adds or clarifies more on what i already know and thats what study and learning should be.We should not go back to ground zero and start reviewing and relearning again.The difference is soooooo huuuuge i cant explain .For me the benefit of speed vs the real speed as in incremental learning in my learning curve is incomparable...its exponential and there in lies the real benefit of speed!!!

one day when they develop and if they develop a method to measure incremental knowledge and test photoreaders and speed readers people will easily see the difference.

Thats my word,thats my view!!!

Hi forum I would like to lay out a hypothesis, that PhotoReading "is" about building a Photographic or an Eidetic memory. I base this on further studies of other learning topics, and also the reading of the Home Study Course workbook and the Main PhotoReading books Editions 1 and 4.

Thank You
Clear Minded

Last edited by clearminded; 12/26/14 01:57 AM.
SHAAH48 Offline OP
OP Offline

HAVE YOU EVER HAD PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY OF BOOK?
JUST CURIOUS

I have had experiences with recalling words from the Webster's Dictionary in a mental picture form. Results of the process I was also looking the words up in the Dictionary to find words on the page and place I thought of in my Mind's Eye. There are also many times with recalling dreams and memories of the past day or days that where emotionally charged with experiences. The following day mentally seeing the mental record of the dream.

Thank You

Clear Minded

Last edited by clearminded; 12/26/14 08:12 PM.

Hi Clearminded,

This is Photoread4me. Pete Bissonette who I would consider to be one of the best Photoreaders around I mean a really heavyweight when it comes to Photoreading has publicly said photoreading is not about developing a photographic memory and I am sure if you had a one on one conversation with Paul Scheele the creator of Photoreading he would tell you photoreading is not about developing a photographic memory and Alex another person who happens to be one of the best photoreaders around has said photoreading is not about developing a photographic memory.

So if all these experts in Photoreading are saying photoreading is not about developing a photographic memory why do you choose to ignore their statement or dismiss their statement.

Are you trying to recreate the photoreading system?

You are wasting your time and will not get the results you desire by ignoring and dismissing their advice.

Photoread4me

How is an eidetic or photographic memory useful? It's lie creating a bookshelf of unread books in your mind. If the information hasn't been processed how is it useful and if it has been processed it's no longer an eidetic memory it's a recreated one.

Alex

Hi Alex

Here is what I am talking about with PhotoReading in regarding to Photographic Memory. The author of the program talks about Mental Photography, and what that means is that when you go through a book or information at high speeds you acquire a mental image or visual mind pictures. With the added training use of relaxation techniques, you need to get into a brain wave state of Alpha. Then adding Auto-Suggestions= stated words and visual imagery to your learning steps. You can then Input an amazing amount of information to your Right Brain Subconscious Mind that is more able to process mass visual information. With the use of activation techniques /recall methods you can draw out information from material to the Left Brain Conscious Mind.

Thank you

ClearMinded

Hi Clearminded

This is Photoread4me not Alex.

You just basically described exposing a text to the other than conscious mind and then later accessing the material with the conscious mind through activation techniques.

It still has nothing to do with developing a photographic memory.

Photoread4me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved