Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

What is the best product for helping to become more detail oriented? I tend to make silly mistikes in my documentation at work, and if I am to advance I really need to improve this.

I have recently bought PhotoReading, Genius Code and several paraliminals.

I have only started PhotoReading and didn't get very far in Genius Code, I seem to have block in talking out loud and I am not particularly fond of Win Wenger's voice.

The best product to become detailed oriented is the product found within yourself.

It take a 'conscious effort' on your part to acquire this trait, of which you already posses but is merely lying dormant. Your effort is the key to unlocking this trait.

You could alternatively try to surround yourself with detailed oriented people ... they tend to be reserved people and highly task oriented.

If you want it bad enough, it will come.

LLL

Michael

Administrator
Administrator

You already have already what I think is the most useful tool for becoming more detail oriented. The Genius Code. Practice image streaming. I recomend that you try the High Think Tank Challenge. You're probably blocking talking out loud because you are not noticing details. If you want to notice details you have to practice it. If you break though your block on talking out loud and start describing 'in detail' it will carry over to other areas of your life.

In order to notice details, observation is required. If you have the Personal Genius paraliminal try that for a week with the intent of noticing more. Then try the HTT for a week at least.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks for your replies. I will work on it. It is something that I have just recently noticed I need to change. So I haven't done too much, but both my husband and my boss are far better at than I am (and my husband has started asking more specific questions to help).

Thanks again.

kmc,
One of the best exercises that helped me in this same area was one from Tony Buzan's book. Not sure which one. It goes like this:

Take a scene, or an area (could be anything at all). Just observe it for about 10 minutes. Then close your eyes & recall as much detail as you can. Then open your eyes & see what you missed & then close your eyes again & add the additional details in. Only do this whole exercise for 15 minutes.

Listen to the paraliminal Memory Supercharger once a day at different times. Sometimes in the a.m. & other times in the p.m.

I also agree w/ Michael, that if you want it enuff----you'll succeed. And, taking one additional from Michael's post, if you do find detail oriented people around you, you can model them w/ the New Behavior paraliminal tape.

What do you have against detail? Answer that question & you'll really catch a fish

OP Offline

Thanks Margaret.

My biggest problems is I am always in a hurry and I often don't think the details matter. I like to see the big picture. For most of my life that has been acceptable, but since now I am really trying to improve myself, I am trying to address it.

kmc,
i'm the same way; i still don't pay much attention to details

details take up too much time, but that's a prejudice on my part

good luck & if you just do 1 thing, i'd be sure to listen to Memory Supercharger. That tape really helped me.

Know too that many people are more effective when they take on a more global approach to things. Learning Strategies employees recently participated in a workshop to explore our individual preferences for learning. We found that most people are either analytic (very detail oriented), or global (wanting the big picture while only filling in the details as needed) And some people fell into the middle, prefering a little of both.

The point is, neither is a better way to learn or work, but just happens to be our personal preference when it comes to work or learning something new.

Sometimes people are so focused on the details, they lose track of the big picture. On the other hand, global people, such as yourself, may lose some needed details along the way. But, you might work better under a deadline, whereas more detail oriented people are less likely to work well under pressure.

The point is, it is not necessarily a bad thing to not be detail oriented. The suggestion of the Genius Code would be a great way for you to unleash your creativity and discover details through Image Streaming. You can also learn from people who are more analytic and detail oriented. But it's also ok to focus on the big picture.

Administrator
Administrator

Sandy's post reminded me of my experience of working with a perfectionist / detail oriented person. I realised that I was looking in the mirror since I often spent an inordinate amount of time sorting out the details. As a result of working with him I found myself worrying less about details. I figured he hung on to the work long enough and if I did the same we'd never say we're finished. This taught me to look again at priorities.

I've always noticed that I look at the big picture first. Then I look after the details. After working with him I learnt to ask myself just how much detail do I really need put in to get the big picture.

I found myself asking myself questions like...What is the important point of this project. What does it take to get this point across. How much of this information/presentation are they going to see again in the future? How conscisely can I present this? Why are we doing this? Where do we expect this to lead? What is really important here? When does this need to be finished? Who are we doing this for? What is my aim? Is this project going to have a long afterlife or is it a one off event.

During the project I keep asking myself questions like... Have I met my goals yet? Have I got the point across? Have I checked for mistakes. What can overlook on projects like this? I sort of created a checklist in reverse. How much detail can I let go off and get the job done effectively.

Sandy's right it's OK not to be a detail oriented person and even detail oriented people need checklist to help keep them focus on what is really needed to complete the job. The person looking at the bigger picture often sees the project getting completed on time.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved