Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12569 12/11/02 01:38 AM
OP Offline

It is said to become an effective communicator, one must be able to read and understand body language, amongst other things as well.

This being said, does anyone know of a good website, book to aid me in improving in this area.

LLL

Michael Saikali

#12570 12/11/02 04:11 AM

Everyone uses body language, and as far as I understand it everyone reads body language to a certain extent at least on a sub-conscious level. I notice a few things consciously myself. When I'm debating with people at school and I'm sort of winning. I see that alot of the people I'm debating with start bitting their nails. Also when I'm in a Karate class and someone walks in and starts watching us break stuff and shout really loud they cross their arms with their fists usually closed, this appears to be a sort of defensive thing. I've read a little bit on this subject and one way to pick up on this stuff is to watch televison with the sound off and take notice of how people are moving.

Well I hoped that helped.

Hornet.

#12571 12/11/02 05:13 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Allan Pease, wrote an excellent books body language that was quite informative and yet not totally correct. It Vera Birkenbihls book that confirmed my observation that there is more to it than a few signals listed in a book.

Vera Birkenbihl more or less advises... make sure you take into consideration all the cues, consider local conventions, dress codes add to that tonal qualities. It comes down to observation. Unfortunately her book is only in german. I actually consider that book the best seeing it helps you to look for the cues but interpret them yourself.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved