Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26099 02/01/02 12:26 AM
smackem Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anybody ON THIS FORUM been able to instantly activate the things they photoread on a regular basis?

The reason I as this question is because from what i'm hearing from some of the people on this forum is that photoreading will be actually something like 1,500 wpm. If thats the case, why bother photoreading so slow when you can learn to speed read and go just as fast and faster with good retention.

I'm thinking about buying the book and practicing photoreading but when i hear I have to wait 20 minutes to at least try to remember ("activate") what i read, isn't that a waste of time?

I guess what i'm trying to say, is that if many of you can come close to instant activation or process what you read in maybe 5 minutes after photoreading it for the most part then this would be worth the money, time and effort. I would use it for tests and stuff or in school when there is a time limit and i have to read a big thing and write somethign about it. There would be no time to wait 20 minutes before activation and then more time during the activation process.

And I know your gonna say that practice or repetition is the only way to reach that. And in fact, i agree. But what i want to know is NOT if it is possible to instant activate, but if there are a MAJORITY who can activate very quickly or close to instantly.

Thx again for yout time.

thx in advance.

#26100 02/01/02 05:23 AM

Spontaneous activation is definately not the majority of photoreaders.

The advantage of photoreading over speedreading is STILL speed (it's still a LOT faster) and the comprehension is STILL a lot higher (hell, it's higher than regular reading).

"I would use it for tests and stuff or in school when there is a time limit and i have to read a big thing and write somethign about it. There would be no time to wait 20 minutes before activation and then more time during the activation process."

I don't know if this is the greatest application for photoreading. See, the big thing you would have to read wouldn't be big enough to use photoreading on (if you can read it under 20 minutes, then obviously photoreading isn't the best choice for it).

Photoreading isn't BETTER than regular reading, it's a completely different system. I'd say it's definately better than speedreading. Here's a rundown:

Photoreading has better comprehension than regular reading because you go through the material more than once. It's obviously faster, because you skip what you don't need. But if you were to say, regular read something three times instead of activate three times (time limit not being an issue) you would know it better if you regular read it three times. The catch is that unless you have that time, it's probably not worth it.

Speedreading isn't as good because it's a constant speed, and doesn't account for highly detailed work. There's a huge difference in readibility between a philosophical article on sense perception and a Harry Potter book. Speedreading tells you to read both at the same speed. That's a huge error.

I've taken speedreading courses, and rapid reading (you activate everything in a certain way) blows it away.

But again, photoreading is a completely different system, and there are things you have to adjust to. One is you have to be open to the fact that only 4-11% of a text is relevant to your purpose. And if for some reason all is you rapid read instead (which is still damn fast).

But again, there are some things regular reading is better for, like for things under 20 minutes. You wouldn't photoread this post, for example. It's just not worth it. See what I'm saying?

To be honest, however, I would see having to read a big bulk of text happening a lot more than reading a small passage for a test.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

#26101 02/01/02 06:38 AM
smackem Offline OP
OP Offline

ok, you cleared up some stuff for me.

but a question still remains. What do i do if i have a short passage to read? Like the ones on the SAT's. when i regular read them i never finish on time which leaves me to leave a lot of question blank. And you said photoreading is mainly for a large bulk of text. and you also said that speed reading doesn't have a good effect on comprehension. So what would i do? is it that thing you called rapid reading?

by the way, when i say a small passage i mean about 1 or 2 pages front and back.

thx again

#26102 02/01/02 07:17 AM

I'm in a weird position to give you advice...see I took some speedreading courses, so on small passages like that, I do incorporate a type of speedreading system of my own.

Rapid reading won't help you on the passages for the SAT, because you'd need the 20 minute incubation time anyway. I guess you could use a type of rapid reading without photoreading, but you'd be going slower.

Hmn...that probably wouldn't work...see, the reason I think rapid reading works with photoreading is that you'll intuitively know what parts to speed up or slow down, since it's in your subconscious.

I would say that you may be right, and speedreading could be the best application for the scenario you're stating. =\ It's a pretty specific scenario, you have to admit.

I hate to recommend speedreading, because from what I've seen, speedreaders have a very hard time switching to photoreading, (though I didn't, and another guy who used to be on here, Andy, didn't either).

I'll give you a rundown, and see if this helps you in general. This way, you don't really "learn" speedreading, but you learn some techniques that help:

1) Run you finger under each word you are reading, and keep you finger moving at a steady rate. This is the Evelyn Woods method to retain some comprehension, because you focus on the word above your finger. NEVER go back if you miss something - it builds bad habits.
2) Notice any subvocalization - we have a habit of "reading" words out loud, even though we don't really use our mouth; I think I read somewhere that scientists attached a meter to some people voiceboxes, and they were actually flexing in motion to the words, even though the subjects weren't reading out loud. My guide is, if you can kind of imagine a little voice in your head reading it, you're subvocalizing. It slows you down, so try to minimize it.
3) The more you read, the more you become familiar with words. Take the word "fantastic" - when a 1st grader reads the word "fantastic" he sounds it out, and goes very slowly. By sixth grade, he say it normally. If you practice, it stops becoming a "word", it becomes a symbol. After practice, "fantastic" isn't the word "fantastic", the letters are just kind of a symbol that you associate with the idea of fantastic. It's a hard concept to explain, so I'll try doing this. For a first grader, he sees f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c, letter by letter, which spells the word "fantastic", which means incredible, and he then incorporates that into his context of the reading. If you practice, "fantastic" is like a picture that you already associate with incredible, so cut out the "letters making up a word meaning something else" process, which actually does slow you down. It's easier with hi-frequency words like "the" "he" "she" "is" but after you practice it becomes second nature - without photoreading I'm still a fast reader.

Those are the three best tips I can give you for faster regular reading (the first step is part of a speedreading concept). I hope it helps. Good luck on your SAT's. =)

#26103 02/01/02 07:19 AM

As a side note: on the SAT's you know that (to an extent) you're only graded on the questions you decide to answer, right? Leaving some questions blank is okay (again, to an extent).

#26104 02/01/02 01:42 PM

I have to disagree with razor on the test aspect of your question. Rapid reading and Super Reading is PERFECT for tests!

Here is why, the main goal of learning anything is to have a goal and reason for reading it right?

With your tests like the SAT look over the questions for the passage you must read to answer them. There is what you are looking for, Super Read them Dip and Rapid read the areas of the text where the answers are.

After reading through the questions then rapid reading and super reading the text you will find that the answers leap up at you saving you time and finishing the test early is great for your social life. Though your classmates will hate you.

The Photo Reading system is totally different than anything out there it is based on learning, using your WHOLE MIND, to absorb and learn anything incredibly fast.

It is NOT a magic bullet though and YOU have to actually learn and use the system to recieve any benefit. Can't just read the book once and say I got it and never use the skills taught.

The book is great my suggestion since you are in school and I assume plan on going to college is to invest in the home study course as well, the book actually comes in it.

Photo reading is different I grant you, many don't really understand it's true potential, but it is an excellent program.

Speed Reading students who switch to the Photo Reading system have for some reason more difficulty with the transition than those who do not. Not sure why, maybe the jump in speed isn't as great at first than those who read say 200-400 wpm instead of 700-2500 wpm?

Not all the techniques in this system are universal, in that the Photo Reading step is great for learning text in text books and books on every topic imaginable but it sucks when used for sats or other tests. It wasn't designed for that use, but Super Reading and diping with rapid reading are great for it as long as you have the purpose in mind which is to get the answers for questions 1-20..

Basically Super Reading and Rapid Reading ARE forms of speed reading! Just using these two techniques will increase your over all reading speed greatly.

Read my mis-threaded post "NO it is not.." or something.. It goes into further detail on PR vs SR..

Terry

#26105 02/01/02 01:46 PM

Actually, I thought Paul suggested that you Photoread the test before you begin. I've done this and found it to be very helpful.

#26106 02/01/02 01:53 PM

Had a mild brain fart, and for some reason, got stuck with trying to incorporate the photoreading step to answer the question without thinking of just SR&D or Rapid reading without it.

I probably would, but I have my own "speedreading" technique that combines the activation steps from photoreading. I've come to like them, and it's of a decent speed, although I think the rapid reading and SR&D method you describe to apply to the SAT's is pretty good. If you could, could you maybe give a more detailed breakdown, possibly an example? I'm curious, and it sounds like a good approach =)

PS - I usually photoread all tests before I begin, but what I get out of it is that I intuitively get a sense of whether or not to skip a question and go back to it later, or to intuitively know that the wording in one question answers another (so skip it and go back to it later).

#26107 02/01/02 02:14 PM

Basically I just use what Paul teaches in the course and book. I am not in school and do not need to take the sats or similar tests but I do take IT type tests and study.

I Photo Read the entire text and the questions.

Then prepare the text like Paul states to do with articles, Headlines, First and last paragraphs.

I super read looking down the center of the page scanning the entire page as I go down spending upto 5 seconds a page. Then magic happens and answers popup at me as they do I dip and go and answer the questions.

Now with questions on overall knowledge that is where the entire system falls into place with photo reading the textbooks and papers, articles etc previous to taking the test.

I must add here that I am not in any school type setting and do this all on my own. Though the above should apply and work beatifully with all school and college type settings, corriculumn etc..

That is it in a nut shell..

Terry

#26108 02/01/02 02:26 PM

This is my precisely my experience also.

quote:
Originally posted by razordu30:
PS - I usually photoread all tests before I begin, but what I get out of it is that I intuitively get a sense of whether or not to skip a question and go back to it later, or to intuitively know that the wording in one question answers another (so skip it and go back to it later).

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved