Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

He's demanding that we all write in our books. I won't go into it, but he feels that if we don't underline and stuff we're not properly reading.

I believe him to an extent, but this underlining stuff is really slowing me down. Only 40 pages in 2 hours? Grrrr... If any page is left untouched, we've screwed up (supposedly).

Granted, this close of a reading is more comprehensive...but it's so friggen' slow, it's driving me insane...

...although it's partially self-inflicted - to do his method better I use my mindmap pen (four different colors) and came up with my own coloring system, so it's partially my own fault.

Anyway, he wants to see our work each class, so I can't get around this. Humph. I'm rapid reading, and then it's like, "well, I should underline this," so I take out the pen, set the corresponding color, and underline, circle, or notate away. Then I rapid read again, until I hit my next "hot word".

=(

I feel like I'm at Nascar, and there's speedbumps every 1/16th of a mile. Stop and go traffic.

I hate underlining.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

quote:
Originally posted by razordu30:
He's demanding that we all write in our books. I won't go into it, but he feels that if we don't underline and stuff we're not properly reading.

I believe him to an extent, but this underlining stuff is really slowing me down. Only 40 pages in 2 hours? Grrrr... If any page is left untouched, we've screwed up (supposedly).

Granted, this close of a reading is more comprehensive...but it's so friggen' slow, it's driving me insane...

...although it's partially self-inflicted - to do his method better I use my mindmap pen (four different colors) and came up with my own coloring system, so it's partially my own fault.

Anyway, he wants to see our work each class, so I can't get around this. Humph. I'm rapid reading, and then it's like, "well, I should underline this," so I take out the pen, set the corresponding color, and underline, circle, or notate away. Then I rapid read again, until I hit my next "hot word".

=(

I feel like I'm at Nascar, and there's speedbumps every 1/16th of a mile. Stop and go traffic.

I hate underlining.

Razordu 30-
You might want to try -- if you don't already-- to PR the material before underlining. Just a suggestion. Good Luck.
Jonah

OP Offline

Oh, I do PR it...in fact, I'm rapid reading as I go along...it's that I rapid read, then there's something I have to underline, and I pick the right colored pen, then underline, then rapid read again. It doesn't sound like much, but it triples my time (or more) just having to underline and pick the right color.

If I wasn't underlining, I'd be done by now...although admittedly I would've missed some interesting stuff. =/

PR, and then RapidRead the entire thing, THEN go back and underline. It might sound EVEN SLOWER, but that's what I did on the STATE EXAM today in school, and I got finished 2.5 hours before everyone else did.

OP Offline

I tried that on one of the sections already...there's just too much to underline.

So much that on a second pass, you're almost reading it again to see where to go.

It bites... =(

it seems like the information here is falling against the photoreading steps, like you havent achieved any resulys!

RAZOR 'I would have m,issed some interesting stuf'

to photoread first etc etc then do the underlining is wasting time you may as well just underline and get it over with!

well, I'm not sure about the prsys but I think this is stupid. Underlineing teaches you to forget. Your teacher is an idiot.

Enjoy your class. =) You might as well use a mnemonic system and link everything as you go if you do it this way.. or maybe just mind map the book out first.

Razor,

You can read a book or you can devour a book!

To read, do as many do, just read.

To devour, mark that book, rip some pages then ingest, underline, color, personalize ... make it 'belong' to your soul!

The act of personalizing the book helps to 'anchor' information and assists greatly in the learning process.

Books love to be handled! Don't worry, they have the spine for it!

OP Offline

Les,

I don't know how many times we have to stress this, Les.

PRing and Reading are two completely different things and have two different uses.

Secondly, I'm rapid reading the book and underlining, so I'm still saving time over regular reading and underlining, so it's not necessarily different, is it?

And if I was regular reading and not underlining, I would've missed the same things.

In other words, you haven't made a point.

Mikali,

Completely agree. I've mentioned before that I refuse to PR some books like the Tao te Ching and Millman's books (although "No Ordinary Moments" is getting rapid read now...this book is kinda crappy).

I've never underlined before, and yes, it definately anchors information down. My only complaint is I've anchored too much info...like, I've circled every time a number is nmentioned, and there's a pattern, but it doesn't seem there's a point to the pattern. So I wasted a lot of time on that and other connections.

But I'm definately getting a lot.

[This message has been edited by razordu30 (edited February 20, 2002).]

Razor,

Seek out the 10% of a book

Seek out the meat and potatoes of a book

Seek out, don't freak out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved