Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
x Offline

if you pr'ed the book and took notes from your pr/rrding, would your prof accept that you have indeed read the book? i know that underlining slows you waaay down, and a lot of things you underline seem important while reading but may not in fact be necessary knowledge when you've finished reading.

plus you deface many perfectly good books. profs like to see that; it 'proves' to them you've interacted with the book in question, yet you don't actually remember any better than if you had just read through in the long run...

how about this...instead of underlining, put appropriate sized brace brackets on the outside margins of the book from the topmost lines you want to note, to the bottommost ones; in a sense, you draw a box around the important sentences, without actually underlining. it serves the same purpose and is MUCH neater, plus you can still pr/rr the book when you're done, and have cues on exactly where to dip :P

OP Offline

<<if you pr'ed the book and took notes from your pr/rrding, would your prof accept that you have indeed read the book? >>

I don't take notes, unfortunately...no mindmapping, no previewing or trigger words, nothing...I probably should, but I've gotten to the point where I don't need them (which says something about PhrSys actually working as opposed to the combination of the other steps thereof), so I've begun to lose my skills at it.

<<i know that underlining slows you waaay down, and a lot of things you underline seem important while reading but may not in fact be necessary knowledge when you've finished reading.>>

Exactly...I've been circling the word "God" and the number three for the past 4 friggen' days, and it's completely unimportant...well, the God one is interesting, but nothing I couldn't have noticed without circling it.

<<yet you don't actually remember any better than if you had just read through in the long run...>>

I will admit that it anchors it better...not so much that I don't remember it, but actually circling repetitions of words helps me remember every single time that word has appeared. Like I just read Erec and Enide, and having circled the color "white" repeatedly, I know basically every single instance it occured, and the theme because of that. I know it sounds obvious, but the way I interpreted it is much more subtle than the more obvious "innocence" theme, and I don't think I would've gotten it without having circled it a thousand times.

Of course, I circled the number three repeatedly, and that got me absolutely nowhere.

In other words, I wasted time.

<<how about this...instead of underlining, put appropriate sized brace brackets on the outside margins of the book from the topmost lines you want to note, to the bottommost ones; in a sense, you draw a box around the important sentences, without actually underlining. >>

I kinda do this...I circle or underline very quickly a passage or word (isn't it weird that it's faster to circle a word than it is to underline it?) and in the margin I note why I did it. It gets messy, but still very legible, since I use bright colors and you can still clearly see the black text underneath afterwards.

I like all the suggestions given, and they've been very helpful.

I've started to calm down about it, though, because even though it's at a much slower pace, it's like I've done ten seperate element dips at one time, and even though I have to sort it out later, it saves me the time from having to dip a second time for the elements I covered (still much much slower, but more adaquate than I gave it credit for).

Plus I can still dip after I'm done for other things.

I guess what I'm getting at is, it's excrutiatingly slow and sometimes unnecessary (the number 3), but it has its merits and is a valuable method to learn for a different application.

But I'm sorry, FOUR DAYS is way too long to spend on a book (not at one time, but you get what I mean).

I'm finding it works particularly well on my logic stuff, however, since sometimes I can't really even rapid read that stuff anyway (too dense sometimes...like a giant math problem).

Thanks all.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

OP Offline

On another note, I'm debating on whether or not to devote time to making my own system of underlining and pring in such a way that I don't lose time. I don't know how I'd go about it, but if I got it...damn, I'd be unstoppable. =)

Or rephrased...maybe a way to combine strong anchoring and PrSys...dunno, have to experiment with it.

RAZOR stop typing such long messages! they are boring!

I DID make a point - stop moaning about nothing! If you have the answers to my questions why then do you keep asking stupid ones yourself?

Do you work for LSC?

YOu have continuously answered ppls questions and then asked really stupid ones that it turn out you know the answr to!

stop wasting time

x Offline

No need to create any new note taking methods...the Superlearning manual already has a perfectly good method! Modify it and you're set.

Replace Einstein Riding A Bicycle with !

Replace Einstein Jogging with !!

Replace Einstein With A Lightbulb with $ or !!!-> (even pages/left hand columns) or <-!!! (odd pages/right hand columns).

combine this with lines in the outside columns (or square brackets like I said before) and you're set. See pp40 - 42, 51, 68 - 69, and 81 for examples of what a PR-style underling page would look like.

That way, you can still PR/RR the book, and you have your anchors on where to dip. Plus, it's easier to write ! and draw vertical lines than underline all the time.

Of course I'm probably telling you this a week too late...

OP Offline

Thanks.

I do something similar already, though...for example,I would've been using:

Replace Einstein Riding A Bicycle with EB

Replace Einstein Jogging with EJ

Replace Einstein With A Lightbulb with EL

The only things I underline are actual lines that appear "odd" to me. PRing the book ahead of time helps my intuition on this, which is why I like the idea of combining the two, possibly. I also circle words for repetition, and then put symbols in the margin noting it.

What I'm also interested in are those quick notation systems...has anyone used these before? I think it's called EZ writer or something like that.

this may sound stupid but,can u take a laptop into the class or lecture? lol
cause there should be a program that underlines important things for u from a text, and if there isnt ill try to make one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved