Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
seto Offline OP
OP Offline

My ultimate goal here is to develop my PR skills so I can read text books easily. After reading some posts (mainly from people that don't believe PR works) I have a question. Does photo reading not work with text books?

Similiar question here...

I just ordered tony's use both sides of your brain and the photo reading system (just to fill in the holes).

Heres system ive mapped out so far...

1.) read title, intro, table contents
2.) ask, how many pages, who wrote it, what’s it about, why am I reading it
*Note - asking myself what is the goal of reading this, before i start each chapter in a 1200 page technical book seems a bit silly, im just repeating the same thing over and over..?
3.) Photoread the chapter
4.) Skim, threw the chapter, quickly while trying to preliminarily answer the questions above.
5.) Sketch out some notes / the start of a mind map /

*Note - I saw it suggested here to try to form and image here in your mind. Not really sure what I would form an image of in my mind while im reading a chapter about preventing IP Packet Smurf Attacks by using SPD. I assume I wouldn’t want to actually imagine a blue smurf with a white hat? Or how about a chapter on bandwidth allocation based on the QoS Group classification without using modular QoS CLI? I can see where the pro-imagers are getting at on most reading, where its easy to form an image of the concepts your about to read but I don’t see how this could translate into technical reading.

6.) Really read the chapter.
7.) Take 5 minute break to do something else (steps 1-6 took 45 min)
8.) Spend 2-3 minutes filling in the mindmap.
9.) Spent ~5 minutes either answer the questions at end of chapter or formulate my own.
10.) Review notes the next day.
11.) Review notes the next week
12.) Review the notes next month
13.) Review the notes in 6 months.

Am I missing anything????? The goal is optimal efficiency. ie if I could do the above and spend total of 1 hour per chapter (say 10,000 words) at 90% comprehension/retention my effiency is 150 wpm. If I could photoread it 5 times in 10 minutes for 80 % retention/comprehension my effiency would be 800 wpm and id be thrilled.

I cant help but feel I could be doing this better. I’m staring at a list of over 40 books I need to read, each is over 1000 pages and all are technical material I need to know for work.

Please! Advise me/save me!

That is the identical dilema i am in except my books are all Cisco and Microsoft and Oracle realted. How am my supposed to visualize this and activate what i dont know at all. Do i ask what my purpose is before each chapter or do I just use one purpose?It seems that many like us have the same questions regarding PR and technical materials. Is there someone in the Tech filed(preferably very highly technical) that has used this method and actually retained and been able to recall at a moment's notice what they have photoread?? If so, I would be interested in hearing more from persons such as this.

Administrator
Administrator

The way to handle textbooks using the photoreading system.

Step 1 Prepare... purpose eg. 'to quickly understand the important information for xyz class'. keep it simple no need to sweat the preview, content and that just knowing the title of the book and what classes it relates to is all that is required at this stage.

Step 2 get into state and photoread the textbook from cover to cover. You now one step on most students. You've placed the content of the book into your mind. You will now activate the book progressively through class and regular study periods.

Step 3 Learning with the book. When it comes to learning from the relevant chapters. State your purpose, lightly preview if you wish about 1 minute, get into accelerative learning state, PhotoRead the 2 chapters before, the main chapter and the 2 chapters following the required chapter (5 chapters in all) This is to ensure that you are in the best photoreading state while photoreading the required chapter.
Activate... this can be done immediately after photoreading since you had already photoread the whole text book.

Spend 30 to 45 minutes activating/learning take a 5 minute break and do it again. After hour to 90 minutes take a longer break of at least 15 minutes. This is the recommened study method for optimum learning whether you use the PhotoReading system or not.

You can also leave the activation till class if you wish. However still take the time to PhotoRead the chapters prior to class.

Prior to test, check your mind maps/notes review anything you seem to have forgotten. Photoread the relevant textbooks for the exam to refrest your memory and perhaps activate any sections you feel sketchy on. Night before exam review your mind map/notes and use the Memory supercharger paraliminal that night.

Remember with textbooks you normally spend more time reading and re-reading them whilst studying. The photoreading system only 'reduces' the time it takes to gain the information out of the book not eliminate it

Photoread all your textbooks from cover to cover early in the course. Photoread the sections again as prescribed as you are learning them.

Alex

Hi All!

1. I find PR works best with text books. These kinds of books tend to have summaries, introductions etc. Everything that info-hungry PR'ers love.

2. Re longer activation sessions. I've always got the impression from this forum and the PR book that 30 mins in each 'session' is enough. But i'll try it on the book i PR'd last night and see how it goes.

cheerio!

Nick

Administrator
Administrator

Some folk prefer to spend longer with one study session 30 minutes is optimum, 45 minutes is maximum. Personally I prefer to spend only 20 minutes on actual activation allowing 10 minutes for mind mapping and reflection. If I get this done in less than 10 minutes say five then I take the 5 minute break. By this method I do 4 actual activation sessions within a 2 hour period and have included actual breaks.

Alex

Frank I suggest you try PR before you give up on it.

!!!!! Ordering the book, course, and signing up for the seminar is giving up on PR?

Im expressing concerns which people are addressing in a very helpful manner.

Thanks btw!
fp

seto Offline OP
OP Offline

Alright, I'll try the methods Alex listed.

Hi all!
Tried 2x30mins + 5min break activation sesh last night. Felt good. Was bit of a 400+pg monster. I found that i didn't really get into the swing of things until after the first ten minutes, but after that... the only word to decribe it is 'smooth'.

Thanks AlexK!

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved