Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Lazy or lack of interest or is it just plain overwelming!?

I admit, I have had the course for like 4 months now and haven't made any real progress on it. When I first got the course I was really excited about it and I really tried. I lost hope when I guess I completly misunderstood the whole photreading proccess and took it for granit. Truth is I don't believe the course works because I am a skeptic and I haven't had any results. Every time I try to listen to the tapes I get so bored and I day dream. I think that photo reading works to an extent but I feel the same way when I bought the course; which is that it is not possible to take in even a few of the most important details of a book by flipping the pages. The long procces requires you to dip super read and by now I am exhausted and just plain overwelmed! What could this photoreading step be doing for me? Honestly I am overwelmed. Maybe I am doing everything right but I find it frustrating to say the least. Though I say I am a skeptic and I don't believe there is a part of me that wants it to work because of all the rewards that should come out of it. Well if anyone can give me some addvice on how I can complete the course for the 16th time and actually get something out of it and employ the system correctly I would be much obliged. Though I have 'haunted' this forum for months this is my first post and I realize that your response will help others in the future and I am almost certain I am not the only one with this big road block.

- Buggasham

Yes, it works. You have probably heard all the successes on this forum, so let me add to them. It really works.

You must be PLAYFUL with it. Don't expect anything, just be surprised and amazed.

Also, confusion--not frustration--leads to excellence.

Play with the dictionary game, see what happens.

Administrator
Administrator

If you decided to skip the photoreading step based on the fact that you've decided that 'for you' photoreading doesn't work.

Have a look at the rest of the course from the perspective of regular reading. The whole course applies tools that can and should be applied to reading in general yet for the most part are not even taught.

The question why are you reading this? How many people even bother to ask themselves that? If you do the course you'll discover that because I have to or the teacher said I have to are not good enough answers.

There is more to the course than just the photoreading. It is a whole mind system. It's your choice if you let yourself sidetracked by the skepticism.

The question is have you really done the course for the first time. Forget the past. Listen to the tapes, do the exercises when they come up. The star of wonder exercise is a demonstration of the limitation that skepticism imposes. Do that exercise and see how brilliantly you stuff it up. It shows you what happens when your thinking goes into a rut. When you look at the results you discover that you need to drop what you know and what you think you know in order to do something differently. That is what is required for learning photoreading.

Also refer back to page 17 of the book... what you have to give up. Use the personal Genius tape and consider how your experience could be different if you gave up those limiting ideals.

Alex

i havent finished yet, but i know confusion and frustration ( ). they use to be my best friends. now the police are after me for murder ( ).

you need to let them go, they cant help you. another way to think of it is this; have you ever [this is probably a yes] done or said something you later found out was stupid? say you thought you had something funny to say, and when you tried to tell someone A. they didnt care and B. you felt stupid just saying it because it wasnt' funny anyways. after that maybe you felt like a loser and was kicking yourself in the "axe" because of it. perhaps the next time you saw these people you remembered and were embarressed or just felt stupid. that feeling stupid because of something you did before never helps you, it just makes you that way. its the same with thinking you cant do something or photoreading cant work for you; it makes it true. photoreading can work for you, and if you play with it, smile, even tell people about it like you're sure it can work, you'll believe it yourself, and do just fine. [hey telling other people about my 1 success in the dictionary game and how sweet it'll be has helped me kill frustration the last few days.

dont get discouraged, you'll do fine

andrew/agent orange [oh no the cops are back, entering disguise mode ]

[This message has been edited by Agent_Orange (edited February 04, 2003).]

AlexK, is right. If you use everything except the PR step. The course is still worth it's money.

Having it work for you is easiest if you can believe, not just want to believe but actually believe. For myself, belief was pretty easy. I'm not saying my belief was as solid as granite, but I couldn't punch my fist through it. What helps me believe in MY MIND's Power, not the system per se, is the fact that I've had a few experiences where my other than conscious mind has done things my conscious mind could not. My story about study for first year calculus exam it a clincher, for me.

So I would say that the most important part for you would be to build that confidence, that belief. Smash that inner negative and limiting self-talk.

BTW, I had the course for over a year before I finally got through the tapes. I completed my first book in 2 hours. My next in a little less time. I would have spent more than 20 hours on each of those books. Oh and I didn't even use the system completely correclty. My dips are still too long, and I don't layer enough.

Calculus story:

At least in first year I was keen. I got out the old exams and did them as practice. I was a good student, and so were my friends. Well we'd done all the questions and compared our answers. We could get then all, or see how someone else's answer was better (okay right). Except for one proof. Four A students plugged away at that question between 3 and 6 hours each, without success. When I woke up the next morning. The thought, or image, in my head was the proof. I scrambled over my bed to the desk and wrote it down as fast as I could. I slid it under the door of one of the others I'd studied with (live in dorm). We all memorized it.

The trick to the proof was an inequality, that was in the text, but that we had never used in the course. Whether I my inner mind remembered seeing the inequality and used it, or my inner mind worked both ends of the proof to the needed inequality (which is obviously valid) I don't know.

The thing that makes the incident stick in my mind, is the question was on the exam. It was worth 15% of the exam. The four of us completed it in 3 minutes, and we are sure that less than 20% of the class even answered it correctly after spending much valuable exam time.

Play with it, and stay with it. It can work for you, if you can get out of your own way.

Good luck,

Iam2

OP Offline

Iam2 you speak with wisdom. I should not only strive to believe but actually put full faith in it and rid myself of all my doubts and go for it from there. Now all I have to do is find all the contents of my course and put in tape 1 again. :P I think I need to buy some books so I can actually try photoreading something I have never read before. BTW, thanks everyone for their posts. I want more than anything to complete the course correclty and be a good photoreader!

It's the little p Buggasham.

By the way, you can borrow books from the library. It's cheaper.

And addictive. I have 38 items checked out,and 8 more items on hold. Of these items, three are PLC's, four are audiobooks, and six are VHS tapes.

The other 20 items are books. And, yes, I will have them all read before the due date.

OP Offline

THANKS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved