Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35580 03/18/03 12:57 AM
OP Offline

I am not sure if I am pushing too hard or not with doing sessions. People have said to try and go through the book multiple times in sessions of like 30 minutes or so, going through the whole book each time. I am finding this VERY hard. I gave myself the past 45 minutes and have only done 58 pages out of 300. Obviously I wasn't going fast enough. although this is just my first time through, I feel like I should have a better idea of whats going on than I do. Im reading "The Scarlet Pimpernel" for history, and it seems like the last 5 chapters all ive gotten is there are a bunch of people at a restaraunt/place to eat and talk, talking. Two more people showed up, the king and his wife, then some two other people showed up and I have no idea who. But I feel like after 5 chapters of having them talk, I should have some idea of what they are talking about because 5 chapters probably includes something important. I havent been able to pick up anything on what they are talking about really, and Ive been going slow!

I am finding it hardest to keep up with all of it also, because its been about 5 chapters of straight dialogue, not fun, or easy to follow with skipping around and not going straight through. When someone is talking, I have no idea who is talking. Half the time it has no name. Its been conversations between people and things like that, and it just slows me down and I pick up nothing about the conversation or whats in it, but only pick up that there is a conversation going on.

Is this how it should be for the first time through the book or should I be learning at least a little more about the book? And what can I do about sessions? At this rate, itll take me a few hours or more to make one pass through the book, which is pitiful considering I am understanding nothing.

By the way, I feel like I should add, I did go through the process before activating. I looked for key terms, people, places, things of the sort. Read the back of the book, introduction in the book. I feel like I learned more from that than the actual book. I did the mind probing and all those steps, setting what I want to get out of the book before photoreading. Ive done steps in the book. Just thought I should say that, it may make a difference.

[This message has been edited by superman857 (edited March 17, 2003).]

#35581 03/18/03 03:30 AM

Okay, here's the kettle preaching to the pot. Relax, trust yourself. Go through the 300 pages in 10. If you get through in 2 minutes and never dip, well so what you've only wasted 2 minutes.

Really, use the layers. Short dips. Read ideas not words. Dip for no more that bla seconds (bla is a cop-out make it 10 s). At the end of the first pass you may only be able to write a few phrases that don't seem related. However, with additional passes it starts to come together. Some say that it's start making sense on their third pass.

Okay, that's the course line. Well except for the 10 seconds. I personally need more work with layering. I tend to do a single pass, however I'm happy with what I learn in the single pass.

Good luck on learning to layer,

Iam2

#35582 03/18/03 03:59 AM

As a beginner to PR still, I think it helps to do layer learning first. Then shortening the amount of layering to where your comfortable, etc etc. Kaiden pointed out to me that it's better to go for speed initially and comp will come later. I was using the same strat for Speedreading, although at that time no experiences with PR has taken place with me. I'm sure if you have the book in subconcious, it's pretty tempting for your mind to see the text again at a "slower" rate then it seen it when PRing. Personally, I think my mind insults me for regular reading and kills my comprehension. NOPS always when emotions and feelings get in the way in the beginning, I'm still getting some emotions and doubts about PR. Mostly important factor in NOPS is to believe in PR and become confused and curious and turning frustration into questions to spawn curiousity.

Just some comments from a n00b

#35583 03/18/03 04:39 AM

Iam2 gave decently good advice, and everything in activation DOES revolve around layers.

One thing, I noticed though, that when I first began, books would be coming together for me in strange ways. I would be able to go through the text at lightning speed, doing a single activation on a book within 20 minutes, and then go. "Wait...what'd I just read?" I UNDERSTOOD NOTHING. Sometimes, it's all a matter of focus.

Now, I've heard about the texts of The Scarlet Pimpernel, and by no doubt in my mind is it probably simple & easy to understand for an average joe, sometimes. Where do you feel your focus lies? Is your focus on the speed? The comprehension? Doing the system correctly? You'll find that often times a block can sometimes be created just from worrying too much about time, comprehension, and doing the system correctly, that by the time you get through with the book, OH NO! There's just NOTHING left in my mind!!

The first time I PhotoRead and Activated a book successfully in under an hour, was the book Battlefield of the Mind, by Joyce Meyer, topping in at 45 minutes. I got 80% comprehension from the questions that I had my mother/brothers ask me about the book. But let me make a point that I believe...so what if I did that?

-youngprer

#35584 03/18/03 05:07 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Try shortening the amount of time you spend during an actiation session to 20 minutes then mind map - characters, plot theme etc, take a break and do some stretches for 5 minutes have a drink of water and go through it again in another 20 minutes. See if you pull out more. You probably will. If you are aiming to get through the book from beginning to end in the first activation pass... push it... give yourself permission to not pull out "everything" look for what is important to you in the first pass.

For example ask yourself who are the main characters in the book and that is what you look for in your first activation. Next you could ask whats the plot, or whats the theme or where it is set. Remember to ask yourself what you want to find out from the book.

Alex

#35585 03/18/03 05:10 AM

In addition to the rest of the advice, I would add, that you must, you ABSOLUTELY must keep in mind your purpose. This is much more applicable to nonfiction, but it still applies.

How much of the book do you have to know? How much do you want to know? (j/k )

I have found that once I got over the conscious having to read every word, activation is much easier. Relax, you subconscious knows it, and simply find what you need.

When you PR a few books a day, you kinda have to learn to let go, and get over the conscious having to know everything.

#35586 03/18/03 12:21 PM

Mind-mapping is essential here. Once, I PhotoRead a short book on the history of the American revolution. I closed it feeling I knew a lot about the revolution, because I got 100% on a test about 12 years ago in High School. I wanted to see how different my perspective was, and when I went to rummage in my mind, it was as if I had done NOTHING with the book.

I got out the scetch paper and started mapping. By the time I was done, I had a very good understanding of the book.

Remember, your preconscious mind can be sloppy. The information isn't aways in your head. Sometimes, it's in your hands, or your ears, or on the tip of your tongue. Mind-mapping involves making important connections, not only on the paper but in the mind and between the ceribral and somatic self.

I would never read anything for school without mind-mapping it.

#35587 03/18/03 08:18 PM

It sounds like you're developing good questions for yourself. Finish going through the book, but not too slowly. By the end you should have a feel for what each character is like, and you can go back and pick up their names.

#35588 03/18/03 08:31 PM
OP Offline

well how many times would ya'll recommend me going through this? This is not for fun, learning the system(well it is but not the main focus) and things of the nature, but is for history. She told us to read the book, and then this thursday I am having a test on it. It will probably be multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc cuz thats how the last one was. I believe its just strictly on comprehensation, just a test to make sure we read the book. So far Ive done about a third of the book and I think I was going rather slow. I do understand a few of the people and what side they are on/what they are doing, but thats all. There were 5 chapters of them all just talking and I have no idea what they were talking about then.

What should I try and go for on each pass, to make it through quickly and easily, and to feel like I have read the book? I know the case will be different for all people, but as a beg. PR, I am not quite sure how much I should pick up and what it feels like for each pass to build on, and want to gain more than I have on the first pass. When you mention just knowing the main characters basically, that doesnt seem like anything, then going back and getting the plot, etc. How should I do this? And hopefully I can apply the same techniques to the other book in the other class I gotta have read by Friday. books, tests everywhere this week! man its a busy school week

#35589 03/18/03 08:49 PM

Another suggestion I would recommend is, ask yourself if there's any way that you can become geniunely curious and interested in the subject matter. Ask yourself, besides all these numbers called my 'grades' maybe there's something in here that can benefit me for the better, but what would that be, and how can I extract & retain the information?

If learning the system is fun, then sure it's for fun. If history isn't for fun, why not? Usually I go extremely slow when the topic is boring because I'm not comprehending anything - when it doesn't matter to me.

-youngprer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved