Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35717 03/25/03 08:16 PM
OP Offline

do any of you know if there is anywhere where I could buy a couple books like the schools use to teach the courses? I know all schools don't use the same book, and that you people say the school books aren't that good and are too political or something(from one of the war posts), but I think if I get a couple and start learning the material now ahead of time on my own(which I do anyways cuz I havent paid much attention in class, I learn it all at home usually from the book) then next year when the class starts, I can already know how to do the parts ive learned by then, so I will start raising my gpa back up. I have slacked off the last two years and its not high enough so I have two years to get it back up before I graduate.

What I am thinking about mainly is just one for US history, I'll be taking that of course, so I want to try and learn what I can from a good US history book now so its a lot easier when I get graded for it. And also a book on Pre-calculus/anything of the sort. I am moving up to the gifted classes in that so I'll be in all gifted next year, so I just want to make sure it won't be too hard and just get a headstart on learning it all. Do any of you know where I can find books like this? Just one good US history book similar(but better would always be good!) to what they use in school, and something that would cover material a pre calculus book would. I should learn it as much as I can now while I am in the mood to improve on my grades and care about them, Im not sure how I will be thinking when next school year rolls around. I just don't want a book that will be way over my head or any person that hasn't studied the subject yet, like a history book about US history that would require you to know a lot about US history to make any sense out of it anyways.

American Pageant - my AP US history book. It requires you to take humor at the facts. I hate the book personally. But I try to super/dip it once a while.

No restrictions on going ahead. Just make sure you don't act too arrgoant, cuz your still a beginner right? (mindset)

Chang Liu

Administrator
Administrator

Ask the students in the classes you're planning to attend what books they are using as well

Alex

OP Offline

The people at my school don't really use any books on their own. All the people use there is the school books that the school owns and lets all the students have for the year. Only one history book, which I believe just says American History right on the front of the book...something like that anyways. My world history book just says world history also. My math book just says algabra 2. They don't really have titles or anything, its a school book....lol, I am just trying to find out if there are any good books that will cover the same thing and contain about all the information in it, but are just better. Math I doubt it matters, math is math, as long as the book tells you how to do it. history is a little different.

Administrator
Administrator

That's what libraries are for. Just about every book is worth a look... you preview itand decide if you think you'll find anything worthwile in it, then you can photoread and postview it. Then borrow it if you want more or leave it if you don't... you'll have gathered a lot of information about the subject in this way too.

It helps if you talk to the teachers to discuss the core of your subjects to get more information from them. Ask the teachers what they read and are reading, that will give you an insight to what they are focused on.

Also the bookself in a good bookshop will give you some insight of what is being taught in the local schools.

Alex

I'd get some ebooks. LOTS of great reads on Math and Science levels. PR should help you understand abstract ideas painted in those. Are you planning to take AP US history next year?

AlexK - why have you foresaken me?

[This message has been edited by Chang Liu (edited March 25, 2003).]

Some On-line bookstores sell texts--grade school, Jr-Sr. High thru College level texts.

heh, get "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong."

PhotoRead that, and then be a little monster in class.

For biology, check out Gould and Lewantin. (I may have the spelling of the former quite mangled). FACT: Gregor Mendal faked his famous pea experiements to get the results he wanted. Most biology teachers are going to be leary of having you mention things like "Telegony" or "cytoplasmic inheritance," but what the hell? There was a recent study done that proves part of human gestation involves the mother's genome takes on part of the father's - via the intercession of the child. It's one of the reasons the immune system doesn't flat out kill the baby. Dog breeders know about this (once a female dog has puppies with a non-purebred, the mother is no longer considered purebred herself), but you sure as heck won't find it in any text book on biology.

Remember, if you're going to be "smarter than the textbooks," it will give you an advantage of having a reputation to live up to, but make sure to live up to it!

Where there's a Will, there's an A.

OP Offline

what about going on ebay or something and finding a used college textbook of precalculus and US history. would that work by any chance?

You might also do a search on some of the folks who provide home schooling curriculum. A lot of excellent material is out there. My daughter is 9 and is doing some 6 & 7th grade level math. She is using the Critical Thinking Products (www.criticalthinking.com) for her math. Do not let the young kids on the web site sway your opinion; the products are first class.
From what I understand, Henty's books are good for history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved