Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Any idea of how to do that? I’ll try something, I have 2 small books, both about politics, in the same collection. So they are comparable in length, subject and complexity. Both books are interesting for me.

I will read one normally, and I’ll use the subject matter to test my comprehension and memory, drawing the most detailed mind map I can, without looking in the book.

I will photoread the other and do the same test.

What do you think about this test? Any suggestion, remark? Thanks

Richard

Learning Strategies Admin

I suggest an activation period that is equivalent to approximately 1/3 the time it takes you to regular read the first book for a fair comparison.

Alex.

OP Offline

Ok Alex, I'll do that, thanks for the suggestion. I'll do it tomorrow and the day after (april 25 today).

OP Offline

Well, I done my personal test.

Remember I used 2 books in the same collection, about comparable subjects, political, small (about 100 pages) but with a lot of in formations and arguments.

I read normally one book, it took about 69 minutes. At the end at the book, I drawed a mind map using the summary. After that I noted eacht key idea I remembered about the book, on the mind map.

I photoread the other book and the day after, I activated it. It took about 12 minutes to prepare, preview and photoread the book. I activated it the day after, with 3 minutes of postview, and 2 sessions of 10 super reading and dipping (20 mn activation).

For the first book (normal reading), in about 69 minutes, results are:
- I remembered 9 key ideas.
- I had the good feeling I had left nothing unexplored, I read and understood the complete book.

For the second book (photoreading), in about 32 minutes
- I remembered 11 key ideas.
- I had the sentiment I left some interesting points and I had the feeling to read more. Maybe rapid read the book or 10 mn more of super reading and dipping.

My overall impression is positive for photoreading, but I have a mixed feeling.

I think that to remember more keys ideas with half the time is pretty good. But the feeling to left maybe important information is annoying, and I think if I dip more or if I rapid read, I’ll lose the benefit of photoreading, the quickness.

I suppose it depends of the material. This one was not really complex, but a little dense, with numbers. I suppose that more technical is the material, less we can go fast. For math for example, I can’t imagine super read and dip, or even rapid read. We need to fully understand one step to go with the next. But for less technical knowledge, it is good.

What do you think about?

Tomorrow, I’ll try another thing. I’ll draw a detailed mindmap of the 2 books, with looking at the books. To see if there is a difference of difficulty.

I think it would be a good idea to have predefined tests, texts with questions, to measure memory and understanding.

Now might be a good time to look at the 80/20 rule 80% of the important information is often obtained in the first 20% of the time. There after there is a diminished rate of return. 80% of the time spent seeking the last 20% of the information.

In the beginning it's worthwhile checking this out for yourself with a rapid read of the material.

Alex

OP Offline

I made some mistakes with numbers It took about 10 mn to prepare, preview and photoread, remember it is a small book. And 3 + 10 + 10 for activation, about 23, about 33 mn for all the book.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved