Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41754 05/18/04 07:31 PM
OP Offline

Dear all,

I have been using PR to activate my maths course for 3 months. According to Alex and KW's teaching, I think the core skills to make the system to succeed is to have clear purpose, to ask mind probing qu and to have multiple passes of activation.

I think it is ok for applied maths,while i try to get formula gelled and to know how to apply them. It's easier to be dealt by sr and dip. However, for the mathematical proofs, I'm still struggling.

Here is my approach: I read through the whole proof once by rapid reading, I usually i find the proof abstract and it seems like I'm reading another language which i don't know. Then I ask myself qu like, what's the main idea of the proof or technique used in the proof. Then I read through it quickly for several times. However, I still don't get anything. Eventually, I have to read through each sentence of the proof very slowly in order to digest it. However, it just means that I am just doing regular reading which is meaningless to me, as a PRer.

I know KW can the get whole lecture series gelled in 3 hrs and can achieve about 80% comprehension. What a wonderful man!!! But I wonder if you refer to courses with only little mathematical proofs like some econ theories courses. For my complex analysis course, it has more than 80 proofs in the lecture notes. I'm strugglin to digest it one by one while it usually takes me no less than 30 min on each proof. It's too time consuming. And the main problem is I fall back to the habit of regular reading, which is sth I don't reluctant to do. However, using sr and dip, the proof doesn't make sense to me even i read through it quickly for 6-8 times.

I think I have done the steps correctly, but what's the main problem that I'm really facing? Is it because I didn't ask qu intelligent enough?

#41755 05/19/04 12:26 PM
Learning Strategies Admin

From what you are saying you are analysing the proofs. With conventional reading you wuld probably have been reading them 3 to 5 times slowly. From what you've told me this is not your strongest subject.

Try superreading and dipping for the parts that you can easily understand first. and build on that.

The main problem is your expectation. You obviously have decided that proofs are difficult to understand. Perhaps for you they are because you are analysing them rather than seeing to understand them.

Have you ever worked with someone else from your class that is able to quickly process proofs? Utilize your NLP skills and modle that person. Then continue to apply the PhotoReading steps.

Also your all or nothing approach is going to hinder you.

If you think you have to regular read the proof to understand it faster then try regular reading the proofs first. Saying PhotoReading has to work and continuously telling yourself it hasn't is pointless. Regular Read the proof right from the word go. Notice your experience if it's easier and faster to understand after applying PhotoRead / regular read... do that. In time with experience you'll understand what you are looking for when building an understanding of proofs. Then your PhotoReading skills and knowledge will be moving you even faster through the proofs.

Right now you're saying the system of PhotoReading has to work this way and are no focusing on a solution but looking to force the system into a mold. The aim is to use your skills to the best of your ability because you want to get your reading done in the shortest time possible. If that means regular/ analylitical reading then do that. PhotoReading does not take away your skills it adds options.

Again if you're using superreading and dipping on a subject that you find difficult. Look first for the parts that you understand and build connections to that with additional activation passes.

Alex

#41756 05/19/04 02:39 PM
OP Offline

Dear Alex,

Thanks for your reply again. From my understanding, KWLee could understand proofs quite quickly under your guidance. I have improved in my PR process under your guidance as well. I think the keys are doing multiple passes and get different things in different layers according to my purpose.Also ask mind probing qu.

If you know, can you tell me if KW sticks to one proof until he gets it gel or he just move around to other topics even he doesn't understand the proof or maybe just understand one line. I think he had a hard time in dealing with proofs as he had quite many messages about this topic. Eventually he could maximize the benefit of PR.

I have decided to use PR ONLY in studying my materials and I am not going to use regular reading anymore even for proofs. Coz if KW can do it, so do I!

I suspect the things I am doing not well enough are 1) I stick to one proof at a time. Instead should I sr and dip to the proof quickly and move on to other topics even i don't understand it? 2) My questioning process is not good enough. The qu I usually ask are like --- What is the main idea in the proof? What do I have to learn to understand it? Why don't I understand it? Have I missed anything?

Lastly, Alex, I want to send you my heartfelt gradtitude again. Do you remember I got an interview with a famous management consulting firm in easter? I passed the written test with PR and my intuition power. I had little idea with some of the qu. Then I just sticked to the part that I understood, then picked the ans by intuition. I thought I did crap but turned out I did quite well and I got the internship. Also, I got an offer from one of the big 4 accountant firms as well. I'm coordinating with both firms to arrange the time so that i would be able to work for both companies one by one. But then I have no more vacation. Haha!

P.S. Hey KW, where are you? Haven't seen you for ages? Could you guide me a bit? Thx.

#41757 05/19/04 03:17 PM

As I said to KWLee when he was chasing his 1st last year.

What is the point? A good passing grade is all you need to get a good job. Next year there is another star with the first. The proof is in the way you perform your work. So when you're studying look at the subject as a whole. Find out what percentage of the subject counts toward a passing grade and then determine realistically... do you need to know it all or do you just need to be able to show where to go to find the proof when you need it.

Find out from older students what their exams were about ask their advise about proof. It will vary between universities and professors.

Like I said to KWLee find out what you really need to know. No one person can know everything in every textbooks that they have on their required reading and suggested reading list.

Yes, he got his first in the end but he changed his focus. Doing his studies, effiently, effectively and with a purpose. I.E. Why he was studying the subject in the first place. It's amazing how much acknowledging where you're going to go with what you learned moves you to studying in the right areas.

In the long run what percentage of those proofs are really important.

On the subject of proofs... KWLee says they are what "slows one down in their studies of this subject. Knowing them well unfortunately doesn't seem to impress the professors as much as knowing who's who's of proofs and using the remaining time to make intelligent observations instead."

So check what your professors want.

Remember also there are 2 levels of relevance when taking a course...
1) What the instructors want you to know to be granted a passing grade.

2.) What you are "REALLY" going to need to know in your chosen career. Part of/ not necessarily all of the stuff that the instructors require you to know will be relevant to your actual career.

A lot of it won't even be covered (Shock horror). So what really becomes important is demonstrating your skill to quickly find the relevant information and the apply it.

Congratulations on your internships. U
Unforunately I cannot use MSN it managed to corrupt itself brilliantly and right now reformating my computer to fix that isn't a priority so let me know how things go via email.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved