Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42120 06/24/04 11:48 PM
OP Offline

Does anyone have an informed comment on using the pattern/model discovery methods described within data mining documents with the data 'read' via photoreading without activation?

Jim

#42121 06/25/04 09:16 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Jim,

You're making a huge assumption that everyone knows what you are talking about when you say...

quote:
pattern/model discovery methods described within data mining documents with the data 'read'

You've not mentioned what you are refering to... also the term "data mining" I am more familiar with in relation to computer jargon... it's a program that gets planted on your computer by websites that collects and sends data about the internets users surfing habits.

In my own personal research I have not come across this terminology in relation to reading so please explain what you are asking.

Alex

#42122 06/26/04 04:30 PM
OP Offline

It bears no relationship to phishing. The method has appeared recently in the news in the context of anti-terrorism activity: the aggregation of large amounts of data (in the terrorism context, by merging multiple public databases) then 'going through' the data looking for patterns or how to model the data without paying particular attention to any particular data bit - sort of like noticing that a list is arranged alphabetically but not making specific note of what the 17th item in the list is. I was wondering if you could Photoread / photoscan a large volumn of data then derive its pattern/shape without going through the activation process for specific data items. Like scanning a book on the solar system and coming up with Bodes law but not becoming aware of the specifics of Saturn's atmospheric composition...

#42123 06/27/04 07:14 AM

I suggest you do a check out the information gathered by Pawel Lewicki in his research. His research demonstrates that the mind looks for patterns and while the nonconscious mind can see the pattern we are at a loss to explain it consciously. In fact if you want to find a pattern you're better off handing it over to the non conscious mind to find.
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~pawel-lewicki/

PhotoReading is not scanning. It's taking a "snapshot" of a page first for the non-conscious part of the mind to process first and we make available to our conscious mind through activation. The speed at which we become aware of this information consciously follows our intention/purpose/desire to know something about the text we PhotoRead.

Alex

Alex

#42124 06/29/04 12:34 AM
OP Offline

Thank you. So is your recommendation 'scanning' (yes, I know PhotoReading isn't scanning - nor is it traditional reading, but I was at a loss for the media change of a large amount of material and the term ALMOST fit) in the material and then try to extract the pattern/model/descriptor from the subconscious (*ack* I dislike that term immensely!) using something like imagestreaming, mindmapping, or such?

Jim

#42125 06/29/04 11:00 AM

If you've experienced photoreading you will probably have had the experience of opening the book to exactly the right page with the answer.

Based on what you need to know consciously the non conscious part of the mind directs you to what you need to read. Does it click? Usually not... because the conscious mind cannot see patterns as easily as the non conscious mind so explaining what you know and how you know it seems 'psychic' yet it's not as Lewicki has disclosed. The non conscious mind picked up the pattern the conscious mind will go to elaborate lengths to explain it.

Alex

#42126 06/29/04 11:09 PM
OP Offline

I've done that, but that wasn't quite what I was wondering about. The 'data-mining' procedure I mentioned looks like a method that a computer guided by a person does but a person without a computer usually cannot - the size of the database precludes proper analysis. But at 45k wpm sufficient material may be absorbed to make it a useful talent but more precise that the 'roll in the grass' method described in other books on creativity. I recommend that you (or anyone else that cares) take a look at the procedure then comment.

The more I think about it, the better my example concerning Bodes law looks...

Jim

#42127 06/30/04 11:49 AM

Mate, I still don't know what you're talking about.

You invite us to look at procedures but don't suggest where or what we supposed to be looking for.

Alex

#42128 07/01/04 11:19 PM
OP Offline

You still don't know? Perhaps you should re-read what I posted June 26, 2004 11:30 AM.

But if you, or anyone, does not know that answers the original question. Not as I had wished, but it is an answer. Thank you.

#42129 07/02/04 02:38 AM

I'm in Australia. Don't see your news here. That goes for many accessing this forum.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved