Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45593 10/06/05 01:57 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
Hiya all,

I think I'm having trouble with my Photoreading purpose.

How do you all affirm your purpose at the start?
- Say it to yourself once, and forget it when you Photoread?
- Chant it a few times, and forget it when you Photoread?
- Constantly think of that purpose even when Photoreading?
- Write it down at the start and read it before and after Photoreading?

Creating a purpose is a foreign concept to me right now. I am also worried that my purpose will vanish halfway when I'm focused on thinking "One, Two, One, Two" during the Photoread step.

Secondly, how would you structure a purpose when you're Photoreading a 500-page textbook with roughly 20 chapters for an exam?
- "The purpose of this Photoreading session is to remember the entire Biology syllabus."
- "The purpose of this Photoreading session is to learn everything necessary to score high marks for my Biology exam"?

Thanks!


Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 44
Member
Member

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 44
Everyone has a purpose everyday of their lives. Most of the time it is hidden and not brought to our concious awareness.

For example, you wake up in the morning and eat breakfast before you go to school or work. 99% of time you will do this automatically without much mental effort. If we actually break this down, we could say your purpose for eating breakfast is because your body requires it and to stop any subsequent hunger pains we might others experience if we happened to miss that particular meal.

Why I am telling you this is because purpose gives a person drive and energy and focus, whether it is hidden in our OTC (as mentioned above) or is in the 'here and now' as in the present concious.

Have you ever been really really mad at someone, and I sure you have, where the world suddenly doesn't exist for a moment and you lose track of time even if its for a brief few seconds. That focused concentration is what I believe Paul is trying to achieve when he gets us to state our purpose. To get us off our fat behinds and moving in the direction of determing whether I really want to invest my time in this book or not.

As we get older our time suddenly takes on a whole new clarity. When we are young we think we have all the time in the world but their actually comes a time in our lives where time is worth more the gold.

THE PURPOSE MENTIONED IS DESIGNED TO HELP YOU TO STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. DO YOU WANT TO READ THE BOOK OR NOT. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, DO THE READING AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE.


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,089
Likes: 1
Learning Strategies Admin
Member
Learning Strategies Admin
Member

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,089
Likes: 1
quote:
Originally posted by Vismurus:
Hiya all,

I think I'm having trouble with my Photoreading purpose.

How do you all affirm your purpose at the start?
- Say it to yourself once, and forget it when you Photoread?
- Chant it a few times, and forget it when you Photoread?
- Constantly think of that purpose even when Photoreading?
- Write it down at the start and read it before and after Photoreading?


Writing it down is a good idea. Most times it changes as you activate. Generally you just need to say it when you have entered the Accelerated Learning State then move one.

We usually have a purpose but as kids we learned to to answer "I don't know." when we were asked why we were doing that or did that.


It's the auto answer for most of us however there is a reason you're interested in the book so dig deeper. Ask yourself what's the outcome or benefit I expect from doing this.

quote:
creating a purpose is a foreign concept to me right now. I am also worried that my purpose will vanish halfway when I'm focused on thinking "One, Two, One, Two" during the Photoread step.

It won't ... like I said it's only foreign because we are on autopilot with the answer. There is a reason at a deeper level.

quote:
Secondly, how would you structure a purpose when you're Photoreading a 500-page textbook with roughly 20 chapters for an exam?
- "The purpose of this Photoreading session is to remember the entire Biology syllabus."
- "The purpose of this Photoreading session is to learn everything necessary to score high marks for my Biology exam"?

Try adding "... so I can... "

So you are going to "learn the Biology syllabus so I can [insert what you expect to do as a result of learning biology or whatever you happen to be reading]. Whatever you inserted is your purpose.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited October 06, 2005).]



Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.063s Queries: 19 (0.024s) Memory: 2.9897 MB (Peak: 3.5942 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 05:57:52 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS