I took Eagle's advice and added the movie to my Netflix queue. I remember listening to an interview on Fresh Air that featured the author of the book (this exceptional woman's daughter - yes, it's a true story) a couple of years ago, but had forgotten about it. An uncommonly good movie and very inspirational as well - the mother's positive spirit and quick wit, not to mention her astounding level of compassion for her alcoholic husband, does bring home the message that by avoiding the traps of cynicism and despair, anything can be achieved.

Thanks for the heads up Eagle. Note: Probably not for cynics who will find something/anything to refute and therefore miss the magic contained within the story. I feel that some people in these forums are striving very hard not to be had, "I will not be had, people are out to take advantage" seems to be a strong belief. Is consistently being the devil's advocate a particularly proactive position to be in?

It is hard to argue that positive expectation is a tremendous force after witnessing such a credible display as is portrayed in this film.

You really do see law of attraction principles in action. Even when her self-destructive husband manages to bring the family down in some way, she succeeds in turning things back to her favor. She simply does not buy into his story, and never feels sorry for herself. She also finds this optimistic attitude of her's acutely practical. And indeed it is - as Earl Nightingale say's, "you are what you think about." At one point you see that she has a framed affirmation crafted in needlepoint hanging on her wall that reads, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." I love that. Well, I guess your affirmation does have to be believable if your going to accept it, though I don't think, personally, that I would start any affirmation with, the harder I work!