Hi,

Writing in another forum about another topic got me thinking about this documentary I saw on PBS recently. It featured the incredible mind-over-matter abilities of Tibetian monks. For example, they can sleep outside in the dead of winter with only a light sheet for covering. They can also completely dry towels which had been soaked in freezing water which had been draped over their bodies, all while in frigid conditions. They do this all while in a deep meditation. Conditions which would quickly send 99.99% of us into fatal hypothermia are completely benign to these monks. And they can reproduce the results on demand.

So, despite all the recent attempts to westernize meditation techniques to us fat, lazy Americans (what about that ad that proclaims you can achieve meditative states of a Tibetian monk in 5 minutes, an not have to spend 5 years to learn it like a real Tibetian monk!), I have yet to see a western practitioner of meditation exhibit the truly astonishing feats of generating inner heat, as I saw in the PBS documentary. There's certainly a difference between a gimmick and the Real Thing.

Does anyone here know of a western guru who has mastered inner heat capabilities? Is inner heat generation a teachable method which can be authentically reproduced? Or, do I have to go join a Tibetian monestary to learn it?