Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#19198 01/05/01 05:22 AM
OP Offline

So, Bridget, what can you tell us about your own personal achievements with photoreading? Any helpful suggestions you can give to those struggling learners out there? (me, for one )

Thanks!

#19199 01/05/01 11:36 AM

Hello Tim,

you wanted some success stories? Well, here's mine. Probably not the kind you were looking for, but success nevertheless.

Prologue: After reading the PR-book, I took the PR-course (with evidence of success) and afterwards fiddled for some time with PR - without success. So I dropped the whole thing.
One and a half year later, I broke my left arm. It was so disturbing, I couldn't get much sleep and for this, I even fell asleep during courses. After this, I forgot about going to the courses, concentrating on getting healthy again.

Main Story:
That year, I had to take a test in computer science and programming, covering the material of three different courses. On one of the subjects, I never went to the course. On one other, I had a little previous knowledge through my professional training.
At the beginning of my learning session,it was Thursday. On Tuesday the next week, the I had to write the test. I did, I passed. I even was better than some of the students who went to every course!
Total study time: 20 hours, spread over four days.

What did I do? On Thursday, I collected some sheets with questions of previous tests on the topics and went through the university library, taking home aobut a dozen books.
On Friday, I read the questions, previewed the books and photoread them. [One of the topics, software engeneering, was and remained total alien to me at this time.]
At Saturday, I invested some hours activating the books on programming in C, mindmapping the language, its concepts and its syntax. For the last questions remaining, I visited a friend who was an is heavily into programming.
On Sunday, I had something other to do and just briefly reviewed the questions, answering some of them.
On Monday afternoon, I activated and learned the topic I was already basically familiar with, something about hardware.
For some reason, this took a lot of time and I was already thinking about cancelling the test the next day - one topic was still missing. But I picked up the first book on software engeneering and, surprise!, the concepts in the book made sense to me! I was totally exited, and during the next four hours I went straight trough all the books and questions on this topic.
Then I got some hours of sleep and went to take this test. At first, I thought I knew nothing - but after playing(!) a little with the questions asked and simply taking brief notes of what little I knew at first, nearly everything came back to me.

So, why did PR suddenly work? In my opinion, I had for the first time a real desire, a real need to use PR. I had a *GOAL*. And since it was a hopeless case anyway, I did not pressure myself very much - I just did it.

Well, this got rather lengthy, but I hope this is the kind of story you wanted to read.

Have fun,

Jens

#19200 01/05/01 12:42 PM

Hi Jen,

After reading your post I thought about some of my exams last year, in particular the last of my microsoft exam. It was the IIS4 exam. I was very worried about this exam as I had been using the PR to prepare but as the exam approached I still did not feel confident that I knew all I should know for the exam I had PR a couple of text books and a bunch of brain dumps. I passed the exam and thank God as I didn't know how I passed. May be PR worked without me giving it credit?
My idea of success in PR is to have some familiarity of the information when I do the super reading but there is little. I can say that some material I grasp it easier, but there is no dejavu.

Just for the record I bought the home study course in June 2K, started and stopped in July 2K because I needed results alot faster. Started again in Sept 2K after seeing what others posted in this forum.

regards

Will Ho

#19201 01/16/01 02:24 AM

I purchased the PR self-study pack, after hearing one advertizment on the radio. I think this was rather a foolish thing to do, but I a desperate. I am 28 and would like to graduate before 30, I have been in anout tof school since 94. I am an Eng. major. I love to read, but I am a very slow reader and am overly concerned with the smallest details of every piece of lit. I read. This slows me down and I burn out quikly. I am hopeing PR will help me. I have started to listen to the tapes and read the book. So, far I have noticed a slight improvment in my reading skill, but no sucsess story yet.
Is there anyone else out there who is a slow learner borderline LD, as I beleive I am, who is experimenting with PR?

#19202 01/16/01 02:31 AM

P.S. I am having difficulty acheiving the "eye-mind" contact and broadening my field of vision. Any suggestions, is there something I am not doing right?

#19203 01/16/01 02:49 AM

Thomas,
I'm sure Pete will offer up some sound advice.

But, i'd like you to go to: www.braingym.com

Please purchase Brain Gym for children & Brain Gym for teachers. You need to do some repatterning. I am almost 100% sure if you do the very simple exercises, you'll notice real improvement. Paul mentions cross crawling in PhRing, but there's alot more. They have an 800 number & will send you the books right away. In fact i just ordered 2 more books from them today. I promise you that you will not be disappointed in these 2 books. Your brain will be soooo happy

Please make it a point to notice all the other things that are mentioned in the PhRing course. Please learn how to mindmap. This is also mentioned in the PhRing course, but you have to discipline yourself to learn it. It is a fantastic technique.........i mean FANTASTIC. Buy Tony Buzan's Use Both Sides of Your Brain & Make the Most of Your Mind. If you can, buy or study his MindMap Book.

So much valuable info is presented in the PhRing Home Study Course in addition to PhRing. Everyone wants to just read like the wind, like Pete.....but it takes practice. At the same time there's lots of valuable techniques you can be doing simultaneous w/ your practice & learning of PhRing.

You are in college & you like literature---This means you are intelligent. There is a lot of help out there for you. Just keep yourself motivated till you start to enjoy some successes. Just keep in mind that it will eventually snowball for you.

#19204 01/16/01 02:54 AM

Look at a picture on the wall.

Now look at the whole wall.

Just keep going back & forth between looking at something specific & then looking at everything at the same time.

Dana told me to look at a leaf on a tree & then just look at the whole tree. A soft gaze sees the whole field of vision w/o focusing on 1 particular thing. Take slow deep breaths & relax your shoulders at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by thomas:
P.S. I am having difficulty acheiving the "eye-mind" contact and broadening my field of vision. Any suggestions, is there something I am not doing right?

#19205 01/16/01 03:45 AM

To open my field of vision, I would practice a soft focus while driving. I would try to see both side view mirrors while looking straight ahead. Couldn't do it, but my peripheral vision opened up dramatically with the practice.

#19206 01/16/01 05:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mgrego2:
To open my field of vision, I would practice a soft focus while driving. I would try to see both side view mirrors while looking straight ahead. Couldn't do it, but my peripheral vision opened up dramatically with the practice.

By practicing and teaching the art of Aikido
a soft focus is necessary to take in your entire opponent especially during multiple attack training in the dojo when there is the possibility of being attacked by 4 or more students simultaneously. I find that a soft focus is quite natural to me seeing that I am in a constant soft focus throughout my waking hours. I even notice that while driving down the interstate while looking further down the road, I'm able to see down the road plus traffic in both side mirrors and rear view mirror at the same time.

#19207 01/16/01 06:27 AM

Hmmm interesting discussion here.......As for me for some reason, my reading is getting worst and worst. I imagin its because the level of difficulty/technicality of the texts the Engineering curriculum im currently enrolled in is rasing too fast for me to hold my grounds.

As a conventional reader, i can read leisure materials quite quickly compared to other of my friends.

My biggest problem is with comprehension/retention. When reading the HC11 microprocessor manual last night, i found that i have to slow down to an absolute snail pace to comprehend and retent the things i've read. Even at the snail pace, i find myself having to read it over and over again to really make it sink in.

The learning curve is immensely steep. If this photoreading system could offer me the slightest bit of reliefe, i truely think it would be worth spending sometime to master.

[This message has been edited by Elmo9 (edited January 16, 2001).]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved