Available at http://www.libraries.wright.edu/staff/dunbar/arch/ms1.htm:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
In their spare time, they read technical articles and books, and their interest in aeronautics gradually increased. The glider
flights of Octo Lilienthal attracted their interest as well as works by Octave Chanute and Samuel P. Langley. Their first glider experiments were conducted at Kitty Hawk, N.C., in 1900, and they tested their second glider there in 1901. Some of the
Wright Brothers' work was observed and constructively criticized by Octave Chanute, and at his invitation, Wilbur reported upon
their experiments before the Western Society of Engineers. This public review of their work led the brothers to verify their
ideas by the use of a wind tunnel which they built themselves. By the end of 19O1 they had tested more than 200 wing types and had
compiled tables of data upon which they felt they could rely. Their glider of 1902 had almost double the efficiency of their
previous ones, and when they returned to Kitty Hawk that year, they made more than 1,OOO flights. By the end of 1902 they were
ready to begin building a powered machine. With the aid of their mechanic, Charles Taylor, they designed and built and an engine
with the required lightness and power--12 hp at 1200 rpm, weighing 170 pounds. They also designed propellers.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Let me see, they didn't have scientific knowledge because they didn't finish highschool? Why would that be, they could learn science elsewhere. They probaly had Faith in their work (as well as determination and persistence). But also shown by the article is that they read articles about aeronautics (scientific knowledge), did experiments (like scientists), showed their work to others interested (like many in the scientific community do still today), had many different wing types and COMPILED DATA among them, had objectives and MEASURABLE RESULTS (double the efficiency) among others. It looks like they worked in a more or less scientific way to make an airplane, it wasn't some (excuse the pun) fly-by-night operation nor was it successful because of FAITH alone. But if you think FAITH is all that is needed, by all means find a nice tall cliff and take off!

<<<<<<<<<<"After two years of experiment, we cast it all aside, and decided to rely entirely upon our own investigations."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Experimentation is what science is about, scientist need new ideas to progress (progressing does not mean throwing out all previous work). If the new ideas explain some thing better, work better and have satisfactorily evidence the existing theories get modified or thrown out, or the new ideas simply get incorporated in the existing structure. I read elsewhere that Wright brothers had to use Trigonometry (math, a science) to design the airplane as well. Did they start from scratch or modify Trig as we
know it today.

Elmo wrote:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
mgrego2, you've got a point there the brothers definitely did NOT finnish HS, therefore very VERY VERY cursory knowledge of science.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Elmo I never had or finished kindergarden, elementary school, middle school, or high school so I must be totally lacking in all skills, not just in science. Can you teach me how to spell? If you can, I might just be able to "finnish" my College English class this semester

brian649 wrote:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
..........and a hush filled the room...........
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry brian649, that hushed silence must be the usual sound you perceive in your head

[This message has been edited by chaosadelt (edited April 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by chaosadelt (edited April 09, 2001).]