Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 75
Member
Member

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 75
Is it just enough to stare at the pages when photoreading without conscious effort or do you have to consciously make sure that you see the corners of two pages? When I am staring at the pages they are well within my peripheral vision, but I start to daydream sometimes. Do I have to pull myself out of the daydreaming and concentrate on seeing the edges or does my subconscious mind pick it up anyway?






Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2
I never pay attention to the corners, and I do just fine. And I daydream all the time. I'll just be sitting there photoreading something, and then my mind starts thinking of something else. Like what I'm going to do later on in the day. Or I'll start thinking about some fantasy novel I just read, and picture what the world would be like, with all those elves and hobbits, etc, etc, etc. You just really have to play with the system and see what works best for you.






Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 28
Member
Member

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 28
interesting. my seminar instructor specifically told us not to day dream. it gives too much room for other random stuff to absorb into the subconcious. that is why the mantras and repetitive words/phrases are important. that's what my instructor has led me to believe. can someone official from learning strategies clarify this because i'm curious as well. thanks.






Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 28
Member
Member

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 28
now that i think about it even more, it would make sense to NOT daydream. the repetition keeps you in the alpha state. if you're daydreaming, your mind is wandering way too much, making PR very less effective. i've tried both.






Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 700
Member
Member

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 700
I brought this question to our PhotoReading instructor, Cheryl Hiltibran, and here is her response:

"I recommend as an instructor, if you recognize your mind is wandering you may not be flipping the pages fast enough to stay more connected with the content of the book or text.

But also, notice what your daydreams are and refer to the text to determine if the daydreams are connected to the subject you are reading. You have to go back to the text, activation, etc, to validate your daydreams, before you dismiss their potential value.

Ask yourself, could the daydreams be your plan for implementing the material later? If that is true, you are demonstrating "High Order Thinkng" which is great!

Being aware of whether you feel anxious or bored while flipping, is the guideline of knowing whether you are in an optimal state for absorbing the material or not.

Being aware of the corners of the pages isn't as important as being aware that you are actually using your full peripheral vision/awareness, which is 99% of your vision."







Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 23 (0.025s) Memory: 3.0023 MB (Peak: 3.5950 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 06:39:18 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS