I acutally bought it in 1991 for the light and sound device. The messages on the learning tapes weren't subliminal. The beauty of the L & S device was that it could be used with any tape... you can even create you own and play them at a low level with the entrainment coming from the device. Create your own learning tools. The L&S device could even be used on it's own much like bwgen.
The effect of paraliminal combined with sound entrainment (binaural beats etc) and light show is a hit with me. Saves me mucking around with the computer adding binaural beats to the tape. I've even used it with classical music.
Without the L&s device I would never have purcased the package. Too pricey especially when you get hit by expensive delivery, GST and customs duty added to the price 
There wasn't much written material orignally. I agree that LSC provides better material
personal choice.
Alex