Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#29774 07/29/02 06:51 AM
x Offline

I personally don't PR the bible, for my own reasons. the bible isn't like any other book; you may start reading it but i've never seen anyone who has ever truly finished reading that book. i find it better to preview it in sections, then study by reading paragraphs and chapters in blocks and crossreferencing the verses all over the book, and finally letting the spirit activate the scriptures i need later on when i need them. The multiple passes and the crossreferencing with a concordance give me a 3D understanding about the meanings behind the scriptures; also the fact that I read by chapter and paragraph (NOT by verse like many other christians do) puts the words into their proper perspective.

As you can see, PhotoReading is about more than just photoreading. there are many ways to PR. understand this is my way of doing it, i've been a bible reader for 24 years and i found a system that works for me. you may choose to do it differently. whatever works for you. in the end, i don't care how you chose to read your bible as long as you READ IT and HEED IT.

Truly the only way to really understand the bible is to learn hebrew and get a torah, then learn greek and get an original greek new testament. hal lindsey knows greek and his interpretations of the new testament are far more detailed than many mainstream clergy because of his understanding of language. i remember henry hinn was the same way because he is jewish and speaks aramaic.

Finally, even though i am a christian and proud of it, i recognize in this world that not everyone is a christian and not everyone wants to be one. witness by your actions, it's more prudent in the long term. not only do many people not want to hear the gospel, you'll end up in pointless arguments and flame wars with scoffers if you continue to post up like you did. i'm not saying hide your light, i'm just saying don't cast your pearls in front of...well you know what i mean.

#29775 07/29/02 10:55 PM

astrowill, the bible is the basis for all christian beleifs, some misread it and get stuff wrong but it was all derived from the bible in some small way. the reason they use it for everything they want to prove is because the bible is the Word of God, isnt that something to respect? if you dont beleive in God, then someone has to prove he exists by science, i wish i had the time right now but i bet you wouldnt listen anyways, so ill just skip past that. we beleive that our time on earth is short, 80 years tops, possibly more. so compared to eternity, thats nothing. the people you talk about who are at your school must have the conviction that they need to spend their short time on earth saving as many people as they can, and 'earning' their salvation. some might not think they earn it, but converting people is a good thing to do. i agree with them. serving God's cause for 80 years is worth eternity in paradise. you wont be able to stop them, and its not really a bad thing. one time in my bible class someone told the bible teacher some people get annoyed from hearing "Jesus loves you" all the time. she asked him "why do you think they get annoyed?" he thought for a minute.... "well i guess the only way you get tired of hearing that someone loves you is if you dont love them back"
ok well have a nice day, and btw the world would be a bad place without christians in it.

#29776 07/31/02 06:13 PM

astrowill

You hit the nail on the head.

The bible is actually extrememly funny because it rips on religious people. Religion existed before Jesus and allot of the new testement is dedicated to trying to get people to get out of them. I would never have believed it unless I read it myself. The sermon on the mount is basically a bag tag to every religious hypocrite on the planet and they actually use it to confirm themselves.

Lotteries are a voluntary tax on your money

Religions are voluntary tax on your time

#29777 07/31/02 09:05 PM

what you're saying is a lie. the bible doesnt say anything bad about religion, that is if you're in the right religion. try to quote something from the bible that you think supports what you're saying. Jesus wasnt eliminating religion, he was rooting out all of the jew's and pharisee's misconceptions. prove what you're saying if you can.

#29778 07/31/02 09:20 PM

Hmm that's not what I had in mind, MarkP4. I can't wait to hear your supporting arguments. I was actually talking about people letting their religion blind them to the point of being annoying and ignorant.

#29779 08/01/02 12:45 AM

good lord!

#29780 08/01/02 01:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MarkP4:
astrowill

You hit the nail on the head.

The bible is actually extrememly funny because it rips on religious people. Religion existed before Jesus and allot of the new testement is dedicated to trying to get people to get out of them. I would never have believed it unless I read it myself. The sermon on the mount is basically a bag tag to every religious hypocrite on the planet and they actually use it to confirm themselves.

Lotteries are a voluntary tax on your money

Religions are voluntary tax on your time

There are extremist in ALL groups--Christianity, Islam, Humanism, Atheism--that does not mean they are right or that the entire group is wrong. I happen to think the concepts of evolution and the big bang theory are hilarious, but, I respect peoples rights to believe in what they want and I hope they give me the same consideration in my beliefs.

By "Hilarious"I mean I can't believe people who could believe in Big Bang an evolution could look at us creationists and call our belief simple minded and uneducated. It takes faith for all things--even belief in Big Bang and evolution. So, please do not lump fanatics with Christians. I have friends who believe in evolution and they respect me and I respect them. So, instead of bashing a faith, keep it to yourself.

#29781 08/01/02 04:51 AM

How can I prove anything? It's all ideas that depend on interpretations. If I see a religion doing something Christ said to not do in the Sermon on the Mount (as an example) then that's good enough for me.

-Jesus wasnt eliminating religion, he was rooting out all of the jew's and pharisee's misconceptions-

A misconception to one person is a truth to another. What are you gonna do?

The bible is a psychological text where the characters are characters within you, not some historical facts that actually happened. I am the pharisees and the sadducees, I'm the roman soldiers, I'm Jesus, I'm peter, I'm the animals in the barn, I followed a star, I did this, I did that, it's about US not a bunch of cr*p that happened 2000 years ago. It's all happening right now. But no one cares.

The bible is either a mirror or a hammer. You can observe yourself with it or whack someone over the head with it. What do most people do?

Everyone's so right anymore. Right, right, right right, right. How does it feel?

#29782 08/01/02 03:49 PM

I agree, MarkP4. Now if only Youngprer would make up another word for us...

#29783 08/01/02 06:00 PM

How about Hethens.

The movie 'Fight Club' shows how a religion gets started. One person says and does a bunch of stuff, people follow and then once the group gets so big it takes on a life of it's own until the guy that started it doesn't even want anything to do with it.

Funny stuff.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved