Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I have been doing undergraduate research right now and should be completed by spring.

I was surprised to see the lack of research done on photoreading as I tried to find a study on which to model mine.

I tried to get a group of experienced photoreaders for the study but failed, so I will be relying on people who are new to the system.

Whatever the results, it will probably not be very exciting but I am looking forward to seeing some actual research done.

(by the way, my professors don't think that photoreading can work the way it is described, but they said it would be interesting anyway. It would be great if I could actually convince them with this)

Good luck AdamP.
Maybe getting some paraliminals could boost the belief systems of the people learning the system and speed it along. Lucky participants, getting you to teach them the system and probably getting paid to do it. Unfortunately, it might mean they aren't in the right frame of mind to develop the skills .

Good luck all the same.

Iam2

quote:
Originally posted by AdamP:
I have been doing undergraduate research right now and should be completed by spring.

I was surprised to see the lack of research done on photoreading as I tried to find a study on which to model mine.

I tried to get a group of experienced photoreaders for the study but failed, so I will be relying on people who are new to the system.

Whatever the results, it will probably not be very exciting but I am looking forward to seeing some actual research done.

(by the way, my professors don't think that photoreading can work the way it is described, but they said it would be interesting anyway. It would be great if I could actually convince them with this)

Be sure to talk with Paul Scheele before you begin the study. My understanding is that it is almost impossible to get a valid study in learning if you do not have an expert in reading involved in all phases of the study.

I would love to talk to Paul Scheele about this, but I didn't realize that that was possible.

I'm just doing this by myself with guidance and grading from psychology professor. I think its more for me to do research than to attain actual results, but I would love to end up with something real from this project.

Is it actually possible for me to talk to Paul Scheele about this, or are you just letting me know that my results won't be considered valid?

What qualifications would a person need to be an "expert in reading?"

If there is any way I could talk to Paul Scheele, please email me at adam01@doctor.com and I can give you a phone number or something. I would love that.

I just designed a simple experiment that assumes the system works but tests the effectiveness of the actual photoreading step

Adam

OP Offline

Excellent! This is the kind of response I was looking for...Somebody mentioned that a researcher in Estonia was doing research into PR and theta-waves. This would make a lot of sense. Thomas Budzynski, and a few others in the biofeedback world have done interesting work relating to theta-waves and "twilight states". These are states, normally associated with the phase inbetween sleep and wakefullness, that include hyper-suggestibility and subconscious access. That has been fairly well-researched. I think that, when and if the PR step truly works, it is associated with this type of theta-activity. As clarification I must mention that by theta-activity, brainwave researchers do not mean COMPLETELY THETA, instead they usually mean prominant theta- complete theta, with rare exceptions, means sleep. Often this Theta activity is facilitated and accompanied by Alpha brainwaves, thus complicating the issue.
I have been "lurking" around the webpages of the OpenEEG projects, which aim to build a basic EEG device with software interface for around 100 dollars. When and if they come up with a workable design I plan to build one myself. It seems that for some of this research I will have to engage in it on my own. However, being a student, I only have the requisite free-time over summer breaks and whatnot. Anyways, I encourage everyone to look into this, and if I do something myself I'll try to keep you informed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved