Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Hey, Kenji. I think I can identify with you. I even posted a rather desperate thread not too long ago. I myself am a junior taking similar classes, and it's hard to use PRing on such technical materials.

Definitely, no set of instructions will ultimately help you. Like others say, see how it works for you and use NOPS to adjust it to your liking. It's sometimes hard to consciously think of all the instructions and guidelines while using it, which might impede on your progress. And telling you to have fun won't do it alone. If you want to make the system work well, make it your own!

Also, the results of using the system is not always pinpointed memory. The brain can express it in many ways, some so subtle that you can hardly notice them.

Keep staying happy! It's a choice, not a reaction

Kenji, I like your honest statements and questions.
Alex, Flex,and Eric
Your posts are very helpful (as always esp. Alex). I am still at the NOPS stage with most of the courses I have, but I have had success with each. I have had great success with the paraliminals that I have.
Thanks for being who you are and sharing your wisdom.

Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, I know the progresion of my goal when I photoread books to achieve a certain result when:

1) How masterfully I write an essay, speech, summery or something on that line for it

2) How skillful I am in its application

3) Test results

4) How easily and well I can learn, understand and retain information and that is reflected when I answer questions that I make up as a result of the current situation, or when I have to do school homework (I guess that can apply for tests too?)

5) The leverage I get out of it. (Meaning a ratio of how much time I spent actually photoreading and studying compared to the end result like spending 15 minutes studying/reviewing mindmaps etc and get an A on some test etc)

6) How well I can reteach myself this or teach others.

I think thats about it.....

Now, as for feeling good. That is an emotional thing that comes as a result of the progression of me to my goal. But, because I am expansionalistic, I usually dont have much of a cap or limit to where I can say "thats it, I dont need anymore and I am happy with what I got". Or, I expand my means to retain and apply the information I photoread.

Cisco and all technical books are another thing however. THey have tangiable easily seen results (tests, being able to name parts, hook up routers to computers to hubs and swtiches etc.)

Now, as I was loitering in the book (previewing) I spotted something that caught my interest. The following day I went straight there and read that first. Then I went back to take notes and make mind maps on coaxial cables....

I have just come up with a slight variation to Photoreading.
After I refine and restate my goal in the photoreading stage, I use electronically guided (not any more) CD's to drop my Brainwaves to the alpha level. Then I restate my goal there again and imagine sending a sword that has been encrested with that goal straight down to my reptilian brain.
Then I tell myself

"I am relaxed, and I am immune to all negative thoughts and their effects that may creep in".

"When I am through photoreading this book, all the information I have photoread will make their impression on me and any obvious relavent information will be brought forth when I activate it."

Those are just some commands, now i will not be rigid to these commands of course.

My rationalle for this is at the Alpha-Theta level, what we say to ourselves are commands given to the brain. Because the brain does not discern whether or not the order is helpful or harmful, one must be extremely careful at what u utter at this stage. Thats why having the command whereby no negative thoughts will ever materialize or effect you in anyway shape or form is a must to be stated.

[This message has been edited by Kenji (edited November 07, 2003).]

But be careful.

It seems to me that by saying "all negative thoughts...that may come in," you are telling your mind that you EXPECT negative thoughts, and that they will come in no matter what. You want to let your subconscious focus on the GOAL, not how to avoid or resist the "effects" of the the road blocks. A direct analogy could be made to driving, of course. If (especially a beginning driver) stares at an object he is attempting to avoid, he tends to automatically turn towards it because that's where he's focused his attention.

I'm no NLP expert, however, so make sure you get someone competent in that field to back me up before believing me :-)

-CameronJ

Sounds like paradoxical problems your describing CameronJ.

See chapter 11 of the Natural Brilliance book if you have it.Interesting reading.

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Kenji:
Well, I know the progresion of my goal when I photoread books to achieve a certain result when:

1) How masterfully I write an essay, speech, summery or something on that line for it

2) How skillful I am in its application

3) Test results

4) How easily and well I can learn, understand and retain information and that is reflected when I answer questions that I make up as a result of the current situation, or when I have to do school homework (I guess that can apply for tests too?)

5) The leverage I get out of it. (Meaning a ratio of how much time I spent actually photoreading and studying compared to the end result like spending 15 minutes studying/reviewing mindmaps etc and get an A on some test etc)

6) How well I can reteach myself this or teach others.

I think thats about it.....

The question remains. What do you want from the book that will help you to reach those goals? That is your purpose for reading and that becomes the tool that helps you to activate the book

So you pick a book and ask... "How is this book going to help me achieve any or all of the above?" "What can this book tell me that will help me reach any or all of the above goals?" "What is in this book that I need to know that will help me reach any of all of the above goals?"

Do that and you've established a solid reason for reading and something to focus on for activation, you've established a purpose for spending time with a book. Do that and you zero in to pull out the important information you need from a book.

Alex

Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

The question remains. What do you want from the book that will help you to reach those goals? That is your purpose for reading and that becomes the tool that helps you to activate the book

So you pick a book and ask... "How is this book going to help me achieve any or all of the above?" "What can this book tell me that will help me reach any or all of the above goals?" "What is in this book that I need to know that will help me reach any of all of the above goals?"

-Alex

I wonder how I quote that...

What I want is.......hmm.....good question
Perhaps this is whats causing me so much trouble....

What I want is first the main point of each book's argument or theme is and then break that down into corresponding pieces. Then once I break it down then I will ask or find the components of how to solve, prove or of what proof is there of their statement after I reliaize if there is anything to prove at all.

What can help me from each book is the summery of each chapter and.....then I will go look in the book to see where they drew that conclusion or rule w/e.

About all I can thiunk of for now....

Administrator
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Kenji:
What I want is first the main point of each book's argument or theme is and then break that down into corresponding pieces. Then once I break it down then I will ask or find the components of how to solve, prove or of what proof is there of their statement after I reliaize if there is anything to prove at all.

Is that what you want from the book or some logical analysis of what you think you should want.

Because when I look at a book I usually think an author has put information into this book Ist purpose... Preview to find out if there is anything that might be relevant to me? Go or no go? If go I photoread then I postview. Question then is what can this person tell me that I don't already know that I need to know? That is my second review of purpose. So again it becomes go or not go?

If go, I activate. From my postview I've noted what I would like to know, what I feel I need to know to know. Trigger words, mind probing questions. Does my purpose for the book look exactly the same as my long term purpose? No but my actions and work with the book are for my long term purpose. My purpose for that book is for that book alone. I needed to check out what it had to offer and then pull that out. Will my purpose for each book be the same. In most instances not. In syntopic reading more likely.

How do I feel when I got the information from the book? Great. Knowing what I wanted and why I was doing something and what I am going for when activating... that makes me feel good.

quote:
What can help me from each book is the summery of each chapter and.....then I will go look in the book to see where they drew that conclusion or rule w/e.

About all I can thiunk of for now....

Table of content is a remarkably brief summary of the chapters. Headings and subheadings are like street signs. You still need to decide where you want to go in the book. One only needs to decide 'Why do you need to go there' What do you expect to take out when you get there?

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited November 08, 2003).]

Brilliant alexk absolutely just brilliant.New photoreaders or people trying to learn photoreading or people struggling with trying to learn photoreading. Listen to this lady she knows of what she speaks.And the same goes for Michael Saikali, Iam2 and youngprer they know of what they speak as well and you can learn a lot from them. Alexk i hope i will have the opportunity to meet you in person one day and express my appreciation and gratitude for all the help you are giving people.Thanks for your generousity and help. sincerely, photoread4me.

Maybe I'd better order that book, eh? :-) I'm PhotoReading from the book course, so I will purchase it seperately from Amazon.com along with Tony Buzan's mind mapping book.
quote:
Originally posted by flex22:
Sounds like paradoxical problems your describing CameronJ.

See chapter 11 of the Natural Brilliance book if you have it.Interesting reading.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved