Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

What do I really want from the books I read?

The ability to see, think, solve or know the corresponding information that I photoread about (ie. I pr a cookbook to learn how to cook as well as to think how the chiefs think when they dont have an ingrediant)

I dunno, Im out of ideas
Maybe it was my inability of making clear goals and outcome that the prms is not working...

Perhaps better to ask during any activiation session "How does this relate to my goal"?

-Kenji

Administrator
Administrator

It is better to ask "how does this book relate to my goal?" before previewing.

Then you notice this book is about...(e.g. cooking eggs) this will serve my purpose to discover a variety of ways to cook them. Meals that I might enjoy, what combineations go well with eggs. PhotoRead... hummm yess it seems to relate to my purpose.

Postview. Hey looks like the there are some really cool recipies for omletts here I could try them. The easy way to boil egg - handy.

Yep that book seems to match my goal of becoming a better cook and has some interesting omletts. That would serve my purpose of discovering substitutes ingredients so.

Consider each book on it's own merits. It isn't a case of one size fits all purpose Kenji. Be more flexible, work with the book.

Alex

Kenji Offline OP
OP Offline

Hmmm, hadnt thought of that....lol....

Thank you for your assistance so far Alex

Now, referring to your example,

Lets say I photoread a book on Chemestry

Goal - To learn the chemical foundations: Elements, Atoms and Ions

Preview- Preview the entire chapter and several other books asking "How does this relate directly to my goal?"

Result
-I find a book that has a large section just talking about Ions and skim through that and I scout out enough relavent information to deem it worthy for future referrence.

-I keep looking through several books and articles and I find more information worthy of reading later on elements and atoms.

It would seem these books are worthy of reading

Photoreading
After I previewed the book, I have refined the goal to

I want to learn why the chemical foundations; Elements, Atoms and Ions are so important and how they relate to each other as well as how do they apply in the real world (through examples)

Relax, PR

Affirmation

I accept all information drawn from this book for my mind and body to process. When I fall to my alpha level, the places where I will find information immidiately relavent to my goal will come forth in my mind.

Activation.....
What to do.......
I dont know where to begin

Questions:
What is an element, Atom and Ion?

How do they depend on each other

Why are they so important?

What really determines mathematically if an element will combine or destroy itself when mixed with another element?

Mind map for notes

Rapid read
-Whole chapter or articles in other books

That I guess is some type of example to go about with...

Now, how would you go about reading technical mannuals?

Administrator
Administrator

Manual like textbooks are best handled by seeing each chapter as a book in itself and activate it as such.

Steps photoread the whole manual, postview and activate for 30 minutes (or less since you're really only going to get a good idea of where the chapters are and little else if its a large book.) When you intend to activate one of the chapters photoread the 2 chapters before it the core chapter and 2 following. Lets say this is in case there is information that relates to the core chapter in those other chapters so that if necessary you might get the urge for a closer look at them.

Mind probing questions will relate to your purpose and the subject you are activating. Superread and dip as often as necessary till the chapter has fully gelled for you.

Use superreading and dipping or skittering to activate. That way you see all the words and miss nothing. Even though consciously you heard very few of the words.

BTW your approach on the chemical book has a much more clearly defined purposes for what you what out of that book.

Alex

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved