Some people have serious complications with kundalini--I recall the estimate as in the 5% to 10% range. I don't know what to say other than not be one of those 10%. The risk of train crash will not dissuade me from using Amtrak if I want to get somewhere.

*shrugs*

Have you ever read Itzhak Bentov's explanation of the kundalini phenomenon? Hardcore stuff! I read his essay in "Kundalini: Evolution and Enlightenment" book. --wow. He really takes the spiritual out of the spiritual! At least, he identifies the underlying physical mechanisms beautifully.

The theory explains why I can feel my heart beat at the base of my spine and in my skull--this has always struck me as odd. It feels like I have three hearts! More importantly, he explains why I feel this bizzare electrical-pressure sensation tugging back and forth over my scalp. And what it all means! When we meditate, we're trying to align the microvibrations of our heart, aorta, circulatory system, base of spine, and brain ventricles. When all are in sync, as in slow-breath, deep delta meditation, the pulsations vastly increase the electrical polarization between brain hemispheres, resulting in subjective feelings of 'brain chi', left brain/right brain superhighway (unconscious becomes conscious), and energizing of key brain structures via the cerebrospinal fluid.

"The soul swims in the CSF"

Just because we feel a sensation in our foot or pelvis does not mean it originates there. The subjective feeling of the microcosmic orbit is exactly mimicked by the homonculus in the sensory cortex--feet, leg, pelvis, on up (and down) in order. The muscle spasms are a result of an electrically stimulated motor cortex--just as muscles spasm when one applies electric current to the cortex.

I'm not doing it justice in two paragraphs. That book was a collection of 40 different perspectives on differing explanations of 'kundalini'. When I read that one I said out loud, "BINGO! ... THIS is it!!" Even if it is not the whole picture, it finally describes and offers *real* explanations of what I've been feeling.

There's such a shortage of good info out there!

[This message has been edited by Brian649 (edited April 28, 2002).]