I think there is no "time frame" you can't say, well I've got 3 months to learn it and then you get to the three month mark and you still don't feel comfortable with the system.

I went in and out of using the system for about a year until I decided I was going to photoread every day for a couple weeks and really, truly activate 5 books in that time. I immediately started seeing how the system worked because some books would take hardly any time (they didn't apply to my purpose and I felt joyful tossing them aside), while others had information that seemed to jump off the page after a few passes.

But still, there is no time frame. My best advice is to use the system (not "practice") on books that you won't be tested on (because that creates too much anxiety for beginners) and just apply the system (with multiple activation passes) on each book until you feel you've grasped the information you need. I would say after doing this for about 10 books, you will start to feel comfortable with the system. Perhaps not, but it's a starting point.