Start by noticing what you pick up and understand what they are talking about. It's when you go yeah, I read that, I noticed that I saw that about the stuff they are talking about. It then allows you to loosen up and add your thought.
Usually you don't think about activation when you are talking with someone. As soon as you do the self-critical judge steps in and clams you up. When you do start talking you'll find it's spontaneous. You'd probably leave the room and notice you've talked about it some time later.
If you have problems with recalling information from what you've activated then mind map, concept map or make notes get actively involved with putting more of your mind to work for better recall.
Also try skittering instead of superreading and dipping. Although slower than superreading and dipping it often works better on techical material.
Alex