Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47272 01/19/01 04:54 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Member
Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
I was just doing some Qigong with the audio tapes about 15mins ago, and I was trying to go through the whole hour of active exercises that are on tape 5, but about 5 mins into it, I got this tingling, itching, stinging discomfort in my calves and feet that would not go away and was greatly distracting me. I carried on for half an hour with this going on, but it got it the point where I could no longer carry on, so I had to stop. In general I feel rather anxious while doing these active exercises, (I haven't gotten to the sitting meditation yet) and am not really encourged to get around to doing an hour or two each night. Is this normal, will it pass, anything I can do to make this pass?

#47273 01/21/01 05:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Member
Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Hi Pete, looks like you're on right now.

#47274 01/24/01 06:27 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 81
Member
Member

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 81
I haven't gotten all the way through my Qigong program, but Master Lin has a part in the Euphoria program in which he says that in some cases, you will feel like symptoms get worse before they get much better. I think what is happening is your energy is flowing back into that area which was unhealthy and losing sensation. When the area was again enlivened, you regained sensation, and also felt the healing process occur faster than ever before. Since your body/mind recognize that healing must take place, more energy is drawn there, thus increasing your sensitivity there.

#47275 01/23/01 08:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 339
Member
Member

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 339
about 5 mins into it, I got this tingling, itching, stinging discomfort in my calves and feet that would not go away and was greatly distracting me. I carried on for half an hour with this going on, but it got it the point where I could no longer carry on.

Tim, last night I experienced the same phenomenon you described while doing my delta wave meditation. Itchy calves. I tried to ignore it, because to move is to break that most delicate delta state. I realize now that it was the blanket on the lower half of my body. My body was generating enormous amounts of heat and the blanket was making my legs swelter. Could this be the source of your problem as well?


#47276 01/23/01 10:21 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 52
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 52
I have to concur with brian. I know that whenever I meditate, either in deep theta or QiGong, my body generates an incredible amount of heat. I tend to sweat profusely even when next to an open window in middle of the winter!

The sweating tends to subside farther into the meditation, but to tackle the discomfort, you might want to either wear extremely light clothing or weat a pair of shorts.

Hope this helps.


#47277 01/24/01 02:37 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Member
Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Thanks all,

I thought about Lin's explanation of the pain worsening, but I quickly discounted it because I have never had a problem with my calves or anything serious with my feet. My circulation has been poor lately, cold feet, cold hands, but I did not have this discomfort in my hands, just lower legs.

And for overheating, it is entirely possible, though I was wearing light pants. I'll try shorts tonight.

Should I work on getting the active meditations down before moving on to the sitting exercises, or is it fine to move right along? I was hoping I could improve my circulation a bit first, with the yoga I've done in the past, my legs would be terribly numb just after 20mins. Not very enjoyable. Hell, no reason not to try, eh?


Live long and prosper!


#47278 01/25/01 03:21 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,504
Likes: 6
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,504
Likes: 6
Tim - I was on when you were on, but I must have gone on to another Forum.

Chunyi Lin says to continue the practice in spite of itching, tingling, and stinging. That is the energy moving. Allow it to move and do its thing.

The first few times I did Small Universe I got sick to my stomach and couldn't go on. Chunyi said to keep doing it until I threw up. Well, I never threw up, but another a couple of additional 30-minute sessions the sensations went away. Now it is one of my favorites.

Chunyi says the Seven Steps to New Health is great for the lower extremities.

Chunyi says to do the sitting meditations right away. If you have physical problems you should practice the Active Exercise 75% of the time. Balance out your practice with Sitting Meditation.

As you become healthier, increase the amount of Sitting Meditation.


#47279 01/25/01 04:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Member
Member

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 149
Thanks Pete!

I guess I will just have to revel in the pain... ahhh, ohhh... (good old S&M)

I guess I could just be imagining it, self-sabatoge perhaps. I like your explanation better. (btw, I was just joking about the S&M... no, that's not for me. Now BDSM, that's a different story...)

I tried the shorts last night, and lasted about 20mins before the itching got the better of me. Oh well, good idea. It looks like there is no easy way out. (I was joking about the BDSM as well. Just in case you were wondering... er... stop looking at me like that )

Thanks all.


#47280 01/26/01 06:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 81
Member
Member

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 81
Pete, the same thing happened to me a few years ago the first time I practiced Chi Kung. We were gathering energy and bringing it through the stomach and sending down through the legs. After the first few 'reps' I almost threw up before I sat down. I haven't felt that way since then.

#47281 01/29/01 02:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 339
Member
Member

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 339
First day of tai chi, my vision started to cloud up as we began with the simplest qigong exercise, I started to see colors and stars and sound became fuzzy and blurry. I couldn't stand, my legs became more and more wobbly. Was every ounce of blood rushing to my head? It felt rather like VERY low blood sugar, but that wasn't it.

I had to kneel down on the floor before I passed out. Some guy asked me if I was okay. Through all the colors, I managed to describe my condition. He said with a lisp, "you're feeling the chi." Well, I had never heard of 'chi' before and this guy was dressed in tights and... well, I was like... 'yeaaahhh, okay.'

But I was intrigued, so I returned the next day. I have not regret it since!


Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.089s Queries: 34 (0.025s) Memory: 3.0469 MB (Peak: 3.5921 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 07:47:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS