Hi Margaret,
This post brought specific memories/energy events to mind. I have had experiences too, where I observed myself doing things automatically, with no concious effort involved. Usually these things happened inbetween a sleep state and wakeful state. Probably associated with a period of time where I was working on specific material, or with a powerful teacher. Always meaningful, and still remembered. One instance involved a shape and color in the form of a chord that was coming to attach to me, inappropriately. I instantaneously saw this image, understood what it was, neutralized it, and sent it away. I "knew" what to do. Everything was simultaneous and understood. Other times, I have viewed myself going places to get energy. Everything seemed automatic. No thought involved, other than a perspective of observing myself do it. "my" perspective on this, defines these things as higher self going about it's work. Sometimes working with other beings too. These insights or events have always happened connected to "doing the work". Studying and practicing energywork, meditating, shifting awareness as you learn and experience things, opening of the third eye, more glimpses of other aspects of self and what's out there due to opening up as a result of study and practice. I wonder about the bridging of these experiences to a waking state. Doing what was observed. For instance, you, applying your experience to healing someone else. I think that would take more work or developement to realize. For myself, I have always chosen more traditonal paths of learning, trusting the experience of elders. The activities you are pursuing, are opening up this other dimensional viewing of self. Sometimes we are fully intact with our higher self, sometimes we are separate and experience a relationship with self, sometimes other entities facilitate who we are, or what we are doing. Again, for me, there is a good purpose in closing the gap, and being more of a concious participant in who we really are, and what we have the power to do for ourselves and others.