Hi Michael,
Your physical condition should improve with qigong practice. When I think of active and inactive, usually, the active part has a direct impact on improving one's physical health. This is in conjunction with most beginning active exercise , focusing on the lower dan tien. If you aren't seeing change in your physical condition, try spending more time in active exercise. Working on the lower dan tien, focusing there, also takes ones out of the head/mind. In general, try more focus on the lower dan tien. It sounds like you are more active in the upper dan tiens, and mention your mind activity as something you would like to slow down. I keep thinking of Breathing of the Universe, and also, Joining of Yin & Yang, as good single exercises to do, perhaps by that oak tree(location) you mention. I see in my notes, that Breathing of the Universe is good for the lungs. This is a perfect time of year, late summer changing to fall, to focus on the lungs(five element theory). It relates to the skin, the immune system, and from an emotional standpoint, depression/sadness on the downside, righteousness/courage on the upside. One 'could' be more vulnerable to the negative aspects , this time of year. (Getting sick/immune system, or depression with the end of summer/going into winter)The joining of yin and yang, is a good energy building exercise. Keep these exercises very simple, in regards to focus on the lower dan tien, and no thinking. "Feel it" to give it definition, don't "think it".
Be aware of not thinking. You can feel the minds presence without activating it. I am sure you have heard of being in the present. This is a good focus too. Just being where you are, and keeping that focus. This keeps the mind from travelling to the past or future, or "looking' at, or 'thinking about' what you are doing. As we are in this third dimension, we experience time passing. Because of that , the present moment is "in movement". Staying in the present has a sense of that constant movement of time. Again, this can be felt, and not thought about. It is a possible place of focus that can quiet the mind. When I mentioned stream(or river), I was thinking of a place to meditate. Try a meditation, just focused on breathing energy from the universe, into the lower dan tien, and using the sound of the stream to still the mind. That being your connection to staying in the present moment as time creates that movement. The sound of the stream can become like a voice or voices talking to you, just listen(absorb) and relax. Don't analzye or think about what you are hearing. Stay in the present, give your mind that down time. The things I mention are for possible exploration, to maybe gain perspective on your practice. Ground in the structure of SFQ practice. Bring your experiences/insights back to a regular practice routine.