Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49261 09/24/03 10:27 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
The last post on this topic seemed to have taken a big diversion and then fell flat. Soli asked the question and I quote. Soli I hope you don’t mind but I had questions on this to and was hoping that it would get responded to.
quote:
Originally posted by soli:
Maybe I'm imagining it, but I feel as though the oooom and moooo are much longer at the heart and kidney points - could it be that they are key points? Sometimes when I get lost and there is no verbal guidance about where I should be, if I have an idea that it's close to one of those two points and the sound is longer, I start there and move on. It usually ends right on with the CD.

I was glad you asked the question, because I was noticing this too and hadn’t quite put my finger on it. Since you posted this question I paid a little more attention to this and found that there is definitely a longer inhale at the Heart, I’m not sure about kidney points. The uncertainty is probably me spacing out around that area. The following next three points after heart are significantly shorter in length.

What I would like further clarification on is in a few parts of this meditation.

1) Is the breath work deliberate (inhalation duration length etc) through out the process or did it just happened to work out that way?
2) If deliberate then should the inhale process be increased (taken in faster) to get a full breath in or is it suppose to be a relaxed roughly half filled inhale?
3) Basically does the inhalation exhalation deliberately vary with the intention that one should breathe faster & slower through out the mediation? Or perhaps there are intentional shorter filled inhalation points in the mediation. I know it’s kind of redundant but hopefully the question is clear enough.

What I am finding for example is that after the nice long (steady pace) inhale of the lung meridian point that the next inhale is short. A half breath if I continued to maintained the same pace or perhaps I’m suppose to take a quicker inhale to fill the lungs followed by a quick exhale. I know I am probably over anal- - -yzing this. But I guess on some level I need to know so that I can let it go and flow. Otherwise it continually creeps in and nags at the inner babbler.


Joined: May 2002
Posts: 210
Member
Member

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 210
I have noticed many of these differences but never thought to comment on it here. I have especially noticed the longer inhalation at the heart and the short exhalation between lower dantien and bladder point. I find it unsettling to change the rhythm of my breathing in and out to any great extent and settle for beginning to breath out towards the end of the long heart inhalation, otherwise I might take off like a helium balloon. I can't believe that you have to be breathing in for every second of Master Lin's sounds -presumably it has an effect anyway and I notice that I value feeling more generally relaxed about the process rather than getting it 'absolutely right'.

Incidentally, I found part of the previous post particularly useful when it dealt with what to do if you lost your place in the sequence. I had previously taken this as a sort of 'failure' but I like the reframe of seeing it as going deeper into the emptiness. It is also interesting that I often end up finishing with the tape in these circumstances. The old unconscious mind seems to be keeping an eye on things!!

Love

Kev


Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
LOL, so true Kev5, Thanks for your response. It makes me wonder how many others have had questions and found there own way through this. Most I suspect. But it dose not hurt to ask. It would be nice to know if there is a method to the madness. I’m kidding about the madness but you know what I mean.

About your inhale and burst effect. I find if you regulate, elongate or slow down the inhale for the heart section that it has a more rewarding effect. Part of me feels that with the varying breath work that perhaps it is intentional and a subtle way to keep us from getting too spaced out. Kind of requires you stay some what present in the process.

Hopefully others with more experience in this than I will comment about the coordinated breath you mentioned with the ooom. My initial feeling is yes that the inhale should be coordinated with the sound it would tend to have a supportive amplifying effect.

However not wanting to make assumptions I suppose I pose my question for other valuable insight such as yours.

love as well to you


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,631
Member
Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,631
I do my active exercise in silence. I do most of my meditation in silence. I think I'll try playing the meditation music with I won't wake the family.

I just mentioned this because I'm pretty sure that when I'm doing the Small Universe at my own pace I don't do it's not evenly. So I suspect there is a natural rythmn, and it may be different for each person. There may be common trends like the long heart and kidney position. You may also linger where you need the work the most.

Just some thoughts from a beginner.

Sending love,
Iam2

P.S. I don't finish with the tape when I use it.


Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 30
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 30
I personally like the longer inhale at the heart - it offers me an opportunity to remember to include love and compassion in my work by drawing my attention to it. I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" way to do the work, it's just nice to have subtle reminders about focusing on things like "love and compassion" instead of getting all worked up about technique.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 917
Member
Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 917
Remember that in using the tapes or CD's, that you are, in a way, doing the meditation or exercise, with Master Lin.
If I go on a bike ride by myself, I have my own pace. If I ride with my wife, which I also like to do, I change my pace to harmonize with hers. They are two different rides, same exercise.
Doing this meditation alone, without the tape, or CD, will be the most harmonious with your natural rythmn. Doing it with the tape, is different. One benefit of the tape, is the literal energy of Master Lin, that comes through. Without the tape, you can, still here his voice in your mind's eye , if you choose, and, connect to his energy, if you choose to.
Also, the points/areas you reference too, are different. The lower dan tien, heart, and third eye, are significant energy 'centers', where as some of the other reference points could be defined as accupuncture 'points'. Some points have multiple characteristics. One might experience a connection to a chakra at a specific point, or experience 'layers' of an area. Those layers might involve a more multidimension experience or view of self.
For instance, at the base of the throat, I might experience breathing into a point that locates more on the front side of me, or it might go deeper in the chakra located there, or it might create an opening that connects the front side with its counterpart on the spine-side, sort of a horizontal alignment. Again, there isn't a right and wrong here, although in general you are tracking or moving on the two main energy channels, front and back, and breathing into a specific 'area'. I like the idea of area over point, it can include more of that multidimensional aspect of self, or benefit more aspects found 'in' the area. Like the kidney area, for me, is larger than the more traditional approach of focusing on the mingmen point, which can be included, as an awareness within the area.
One's 'experience' has no set definition. There are known areas or points, a known direction to moving the energy, a path to follow...but, the 'experience' is not singular. In one sense it is, small universe is small universe. But as one experiences it, it can have its small variances within the directed path and known areas and points. Most methods of small universe, or micro cosmic orbit, which is another name for this meditation, don't breath in, openly , from the universe. This is very powerful, and more unique to SFQ method. Most systems breath in a more closed fashion, tracking the breath in through the nostrils, and through a more tunnelled pathway. As you breath in from the universe, in a state, merged with the universe, open to the universal/spiritual energy around you or coming into you, the energy passes through the body, coming in from all directions. This, in itself, tends to involve alot of the area defined as your body, on each breath. One can also develop a cellular sense of self, as the energy transformations reach all parts of you at that level too, if you bring it there. The energy in nature, universal energy, is balanced. Evidence of this can be seen, simply by looking at a tree or flower, or bird, and how they 'are'. By opening up, you allow this balanced energy of the universe, to come in through your intention, inner vision, and breath. The sounds, bring in spiritual energy, to the same places. That , in and of itself, could be very hard to verbalize or define, in the sense of what that does, and where it does it, relative to an point, center, or area.
love,
gallen

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 210
Member
Member

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 210
I love this stuff you write Gallen. It's pure poetry!! And reminds me to just get in there and experience it in as relaxed and aware a way as possible. This is a really interesting thread - thanks everybody!

Love

Kev



Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.097s Queries: 27 (0.053s) Memory: 3.0172 MB (Peak: 3.5949 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 11:56:08 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS