Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49900 11/20/03 04:56 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 134
Member
Member

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 134
A.A. Milne Offers a Perspective on Following the Tao:

"The fact is," said Rabbit, " we've missed our way somehow."
They were having a rest in a small sand-pit on the top of the Forest. Pooh was getting rather tired of that sand-pit, and suspected it of following them about, because whichever direction they started in, they always ended up at it, and each time, as it came through the mist at them, Rabbit said triumphantly, "Now I know where we are!" and Pooh said sadly, "So do I," and Piglet said nothing. He had tried to think of something to say, but the only thing he could think of was, "Help, help!" and it seemed silly to say that, when he had Pooh and Rabbit with him.

"Well," said Rabbit, after a long silence in which nobody thanked him for the nice walk they were having, "we'd better get on, I suppose. Which way shall we try?"
"How would it be," said Pooh slowly, "if, as soon as we're out of sight of this Pit, we try to find it again?"
"What's the good of that?" said Rabbit.
"Well," said Pooh, "we keep looking for Home and not finding it, so I thought that if we looked for this Pit, we'd be sure not to find it, which would be a Good Thing, because then we might find something that we weren't looking for, which might be just what we were looking for, really."
"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit....
"If I walked away from this Pit, and then walked back to it, of course I should find it."
"Well, I thought perhaps you wouldn't," said Pooh. "I just thought."
"Try," said Piglet suddenly. "We'll wait here for you."
Rabbit gave a laugh to show how silly Piglet was, and walked into the mist. After he had gone a hundred yards, he turned and walked back again...and after Pooh and Piglet had waited twenty minutes for him, Pooh got up.
"I just thought," said Pooh. "Now then, Piglet, let's go home."
"But, Pooh!" cried Piglet, all excited, "do you know the way?"
"No," said Pooh. "But there are twelve pots of honey in my cupboard, and they've been calling to me for hours. I couldn't hear them properly before, because Rabbit would talk, but if nobody says anything except those twelve pots, I think, Piglet, I shall know where they're calling from. Come on."
They walked off together; and for a long time Piglet said nothing, so as not to interrupt the pots; and then suddenly he made a squeaky noise...and an oo-noise...because now he began to know where he was; but he still didn't dare to say so out loud, in case he wasn't. And just when he was getting so sure of himself that it didn't matter whether the pots went on calling or not, there was a shout in front of them, and out of the mist came Christopher Robin."

A. A. Milne, quoted in Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh, New York: E. P. Dutton, 1982, pp. 12-14.


#49901 11/21/03 06:57 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aloha Agent Big Heart,

I realy enjoy those Tao of Piglet & Pooh books. Thanks for sharing them here for our consideration.

Much Love, Shawn

[This message has been edited by Shawn_Grim (edited November 25, 2003).]


#49902 11/22/03 06:57 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 76
Member
Member

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 76
WOW
A structured Philosepher - I'm impressed...

(inside joke)

wishing you a happy day

Justcappy



Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.113s Queries: 19 (0.053s) Memory: 2.9883 MB (Peak: 3.5945 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 12:05:39 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS