Hi Jeff,
Thanks for sharing your inspirations, and some of your focus, in your self work.
I would offer up a few ideas. Self love, versus self mastery. Just as you mentioned, the great joy you experienced in SFQ, with that smile, relieving tension in the body. It can also be felt in the heart, and bring about a very deep experience of self acceptance, self forgiveness, and a blissfulness, beyond those initial aspects, of just being love. Loving oneself is a very powerful, transformational state. Mastery, is a very positive concept and practice. My own experience, has been that this other focus, aligns, very well, with where our all our paths will eventually merge.
There is an 'inner smile' meditation , that comes from Taoist qigong method. It is, as we practice it in SFQ. The only difference in this specific meditation practice, is that in this inner smile meditation, this is the only thing you do. You just focus on turning this smile inward, and stay in that state for the duration of your meditation. It is, not so different than many other meditation practices from various sources, that focus in the heart center, giving and receiving love.
The smile that we utilize in SFQ, is a very, very powerful aspect to one's practice. It is a powerful essential, in self healing. It doesn't come naturally, for most people. Wearing it on the face, feeling it release tension in the physical body, and ultimately feeling it in the heart, loving self, then just being and radiating love. Being in this state, creates physical benefit, as the heart is so powerful a center in reference to its effect, on all the the organs, and inturn, the whole of one's physical self.
I want to share something else, as it relates to your Samurai story,,,literally. I recently had the opportunity to meet a Japanese craftsman, who is one of Japan's , "national treasures". He makes the highest form of metal, that traditionally went into swordmaking. I forget, and can't pronounce the name of this steel! It is an amazing process. The metal that is created, is the highest grade steel, if that is the right word for the material, there is, and it is very valuable, and coveted by sword and knife makers. My former foundry professor from the University of Minnesota, sponsored this Japanese gentleman's visit. What is interesting, is that this master craftsman makes the metal, not the sword. His focus and process, is metal, nothing more , nothing less. It is quite a primordal process to engage with, and has a spiritual aspect that is employed, in the process. He has nothing to do with what the metal is used for, although, tradionally, it is connecting to swordmaking, or knives. I don't know if this was always the case, or dynamic, between metal maker and sword maker. He was totally, a craftsman/artist/alchemist , as opposed to a sword maker. The 'process' was his art and work. This former professor, who is an incredible metal's, and process oriented artist, now knows the process, and uses this metal in his artwork. It has become, more, the art of making metal, and perservation of that process, as an art form.
I would be interested, if you continue with SFQ, in your ongoing experience with this inner smile we employ in SFQ, and if down the road, it shifts for you , in how you experience it. Maybe these ideas are already things you employ. If so, please excuse my ignorance and offerings. Someone else might benefit from the conversation.
love,
gallen