Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51100 09/08/04 03:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Hi
I have been doing SFQ for a while now, although not as often as I should. I recently developed extreme pain in my left leg, and after an MRI I was told that the disk between L4&L5 is bulging out into the spinal canal and putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.
What exercises can I still do, which should I avoid?
My doctor told me to lie on my back for 3 weeks to try and allow the disk to heal on its own.
Regards
Colin

#51101 09/10/04 02:26 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 917
Member
Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 917
Hi Colin,
If your doctor has told you that you can't stand, and that you are supposed to be lying down for three wks, focus on sm universe meditation.
If you can sit or stand, but are somewhat limited in physical movement ability, I would approach doing level I active, focusing on the first three exercises, spending that time primarily in the moving of yin and yang. You could certainly do exercise 4 and 5 too, as they are quite passive regarding physical movement. If I was limited to what I could do, my priority would tend towards the first few exercises, focusing the time more so , to the moving of yin and yang.
Perhaps you should find out from your doctor, what they think you should avoid, as far as movement goes. If you can walk around and be up, you can approach doing these active exercises. If carrying your arms, taxes your back, you will have to be careful with that, and not push it. As I sit in my office chair here, I see I can actually rest my elbows on the arm rests, and do the forming of yin and yang. It is not perfect, but there are things to work with. I would ask about twisting the spine, or rotating, from harvesting qi, too.
It will be a healthy undertaking, to find your practice within this situation, and then, help it expand. Working with limitations, can make for meaningful work. Try and open up your experience within any boundaries. Stay positive and fully employ your smile. If you are physically limited, you perhaps, have more time than you did before. If so, make use of it. Lengthen your meditation sessions. If you can't harvest qi, just do the first part of that, rubbing your face, combing and patting the head, massaging the ears, patting and holding the kidneys.. See yourself healing, completely clear, smiling, and making great progress in meditation. An opportunity for growth.
love,
gallen

#51102 09/10/04 03:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Hi Gallen
thanks for the input. I will advise things go.
Regards
Colin

#51103 09/11/04 06:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Hello Colin, I feel for you! It would take too long to go into my own personal history of back problems (broken back, several severly herniated discs, etc).

Please, get your hands ASAP on a book called 'Pain Free' by Pete Egoscue. The title says it all! The simple excercises in it saved my life, it works! Any library can get you the book.

Here is his website below. I really do hope you'll look into this. Every person I know that has followed the simple excercises has been helped, most quite dramatically.
Best of luck and God bless.....
http://www.egoscue.com/htdocs/index.asp


#51104 09/11/04 06:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Hi Roclchuck
It sounds like your history is rather unhappy. The herniated disk sounds really similar to what I have been told.
I will look at the book. By the way, did you ahve surgery on your disks to releive the pressure on the nerves, or will these exercises do the trick?
I am not keen to go under the knife if at all possible.
I have been practising the small meditation and some of the level one exercises on my back. It has certainly helped my attitude.
Thanks for the help
Colin

#51105 09/11/04 10:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Hi Colin, oh please do not consider surgery at all....at least not now, at least not until you have looked at these other options very very seriously.
I have heard and seen too many tragedies with those who've listened to surgeons. It is irreversable if they screw up, and they often do.
Doctors were drooling to get at me with the blade, but my sister-in-law sent me that book, and within 5 days I was on a steady healing path. I could feel the difference in 3 days (and I had been in bed for 6 weeks out of 8!)

We are designed to heal if given the chance. If you look at that website and even call to question Egoscue's knowledgeable people, you'll find that there are literally scores of people, far worse off than you are now, who came to complete healing via the excercises.

I feel for you...ouch!./...by back twinges just thinking about your situation. But please know that you not only have hope, but LOTS of it! :-)

WIth Egoscues method you will experience relief very quickly (no laying in bed 3 weeks, that's for sure), and with SFQ for the long-term, you have every reason to expect a bright future.

All the best to you,
RC


#51106 09/13/04 05:27 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Hi RC
I have made enquries locally i=n SA, and the book is available. I should be able to get one during the week, since we are about 2 hours from a major centre.
I have also been the website you mentioned, and I was impressed. My mom has always suffered from sciatica and dad has had 2 fusions. I will also certainly get them a copy of the book to help them too.
I will let you know how it goes once I have my hands on the book and I have photoread and started to use it.
Regards Colin

#51107 09/13/04 07:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Member
Member

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Hi Colin, oh, that's great! Say, when you get into it more and if you have any questions, I would be very happy to help if I am able to.

For instance, on the lower back excercises, there was one particular excercise that helped me greatly the time I injured my back 4 years ago. And yet, the last time I injured my back (2 years ago), that excercise not only did not help, but I just was not able to do it at all.

In other words, it will take a bit of experimenting to discover which excercises will work best for you.
The routine I use now is great and is easily done in the evening, maybe 4 or 5 times a week (I use only 3 of the excercises)

BTW, I reinjured my back two years ago because I got lazy and stopped with the excercises altogether. Never again! :-)
Best regards,
RC


#51108 09/14/04 02:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aloha RC,

I'm glad to hear of your recovery and appreciate your contribution to Colin and the Forum. Spinal/back pain can be very debilitating and challenging.

Colin's email address is available by clicking the "sunglasses" next to his User name, so you can continue you conversation with him there.

Much Love, Shawn



Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.067s Queries: 31 (0.034s) Memory: 3.0211 MB (Peak: 3.5951 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 11:57:11 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS