Hi,
I listened in on a phone healing from Master Lin, connected to an upcoming retreat by LS, and there were a few basic concepts that have stayed with me for a few days since, and I wanted to share them.
Often, my SFQ techniques are 'imprinted', from initial exposure to learning them, and I tend to lock onto that rendition in my practice , going forward. During this phone session, Master Lin did some basic things I was familiar with, slightly differently, and the difference turned out to be good regarding my own self practice. Maybe specifically in relation to me shifting around with this, but I will share it none the less, in hopes that someone else may benefit.
1) Visualization of lengthening the spine:
I trace back my practice of this to the self concentration tape. I haven't heard it for a few years or more, but if I recall, visualizing your spine lengthening is in it.
I have employed, essentially the same thing, in my qigong practice prior to SFQ study. It is more commonly referred to as 'suspending the crown', which can lead this lengthening alignment. In this healing session, Master Lin did the spine in sections. Lower, middle, upper, and neck. I felt each section so substantially lengthen, I continue to revisit it. It is a effective way to 'lengthen the spine'. Easy to see and feel, and has an obvious physical manifestation that aligns your physical posture. A healing and energetic aspect, and a physical shift. I would suggest trying it, if you haven't. Whether it is better, or not, is not the point. For me, it restimulated the basic concept, and gets me deeper into it.
2) In many posts, usually regarding pain felt, or discomfort, from blockages, in initiating a qigong practice, I have suggested putting the sun in the area of discomfort, and focusing on the intense light, and also, experiencing the discomfort as healing, not blockage, all as my recollection of Master Lin's guidance. Again, in this phone session, he mentioned 'feeling' heat in the area of a blockage. Also, bright colors coming to help open the area. 'Seeing' and 'feeling', are slightly different senses, to initiate a process of bringing energy to a place. I liked 'feeling' heat in an area, as a change from putting an 'image' of the sun there. Both are good, and both could certainly happen together, but this subtle difference of them by themselves, me doing the heat thing, was, and still is , different, and has been a nice change in experience. If I sit in a longer meditation, discomfort starts to creep in. I found it useful to concentrate heat in the area of discomfort, and that, allowing for me to visualize smoke, easier. For some reason, 'feeling' the heat and then, 'seeing' smoke leaving, was easier for me than both seeing light and seeing smoke. The feeling my body had, brought this sequence into reality more effectively for me. There seemed to be a more yang aspect in the actual physical feeling of heat, then seeing the yin smoke leave. As opposed to two more yin visualizations.
3) Everything is energy. Words are energy.
The use of the word 'open', is very powerful.
I had forgotten this. Whenever I used to do level I active, at the end, I would see all the beautiful colors of my organs, and sort of looking down inside me, I would make the statement, " Completely Open ". This word can really be 'charged' with intention. Master Lin, in the session, repeated it three times, when applying it somewhere. Often, if I say it out loud, I can actually feel a tingle and result to the word. It is a good way to end your exercises or meditations. It puts a seal on it, or period on the sentence.
love,
gallen