I don't know what Master Lin's actual practice is.
It is one of several ways Master Lin suggests. It's the one that I prefer. Yes, I recommend it. For me, it adds the sound element without having to get stressed about it.
As for a lot, I don't think so. It's like remembering an experience. You can remember the sigth, sounds, smells, touch, and tastes all at once. Just like you can experience them all at once. You're built to do these things. Your conscious mind may have a tendancy to focus on one at a time, but with your self-awareness efforts you're learning to be conscious of them all at once and hopefully all the time. Maybe not the best idea if you're using power tools, but for most activities and meditation I find it's plenty safe and rewarding.
That said, I find that as I keep the singleness of a meditation. Whether it's moving a single ball of energy, or visualizing it in a single place (Sun and Moon) that's when I experience the loss of conscious involvement.
I know from experience, that when you run laps you have more time to daydream, than if you run cross country. Simplicity of task, and learning not to stray seems to disconnect the control of the conscious mind. (Sorry, some ramblings).
You are perfection,
Iam2 