Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54601 06/05/06 04:48 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 327
Member
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 327
Hi Friends,

As a lot of my insurance policies are coming up for renewal, I started to ask myself whether the entire concept of "insurance" a trance, which may actually be inviting the chance for negativity to manifest in my life. For example,

* Health insurance: I buy "health insurance" because I want be sure that if I become very ill or have a debilitating accident, the medical costs will be covered. But does that mean that my fundamental expectation is that I will become ill or have an accident, since I'm covering myself "just in case."

* Life insurance: I buy "life insurance" because I want to be sure that if I die, my loved ones will be taken care of. But does that introduce the expectation I might meet an untimely death?

* Auto insurance: Same idea ... does that mean I'm expecting to be involved in a car accident? (Well, on this point, many states in the U.S. require by law that all drivers be insured. But you always have the option of buying more or less insurance. If I buy more, does that mean I'm acting out of the fear of getting into a bad accident?)

* Homeowner's insurance: Will my house be burglarized/burn down/get blown away by a hurricaine?

* Long-term care insurance: Will I become instituionalized in my senior years?

* A zillion other insurance policies which underwriters have invented for every possible risk: Malpractice insurance, credit-card insurance, renter's insurance, flood insurance, travel insurance, etc., etc., ad infinitum ...

* And all the more trivial "protection policies" which exist, for instance, when I buy anything electronic from a gadget store, the salesperson immediately tries to get me to buy a 3 year insurance policy on the device, so that if anything happens, I can get it fixed/replaced free.

Seems like we've been conditioned by society into the trance that financial responsibility involves being INSURED up to the hilt, and that indeed, if we don't insure ourselves, we're being irresponsible and even unloving to our families. But doesn't the very ACT of buying insurance betray the FEAR of the POSSIBILITY of something negative happening, and a fundamental distrust in the Universe to provide, thereby actually INVITING something "bad" to happen. (Of course, I'm putting aside all arguments about whether an event can be properly labled as "good" or "bad" in the first place, since if that defintion is actually a point of argument, then this whole insurance issue is meaningless anyway, since nothing is "bad" and thus I don't need insurance for anything anyway.)

So, to truly evolve into something "beyond human," do I need to evolve beyond my human fears, which drives me to insure myself in the traditional manner? If I do insure, do I betray my lack of trust in the Universe to provide when it deems that it is time for something "bad" to happen in my life? How does one live congruently with higher values, yet still act in a socially/financially responsible manner?

Anyway, I value the perspectives and opinions of those in this forum and look forward to considering your POV.

Thanks.

HF

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 279
Member
Member

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 279
Hi:

From the perspective of someone who has sold life and health insurance for a living, I'd say you've asked some pretty interesting questions here.

From the perspective of whether or not you should continue (where you have the choice to do so or not) certain insurances, I think it is more of a concern of what attitude and underlying reason with which you purchase the insurance that makes it good or bad regarding how you are creating your reality using the Law of Attraction. If you are purchasing out of FEAR, then I'd say you are more likely to draw the calamity towards you.

Purchasing Life Insurance is not so much a situation of 'fearing to die' as in knowing that when you do, your loved ones will be protected from being unable to cope financially. Base your purchasing on using logic to know how much it would take to cover off whatever it is you bring to the overall financial well-being of your family, and that if you were suddenly not to be there, what would it take to see them through. While you are doing that, feel within your heart that this is something you do out of love, rather than out of fear. The same goes for Health Insurance - purchasing it doesn't mean that you are looking forward to being unhealthy, but rather, should something unplanned occur, your family's finances would not be decimated by huge hospital or doctors bills.

I know it seems like there's a fine line of where the fear stops and you start using love to make the decision, so this is something that is best done while NOT under pressure from any salesperson, but rather deciding quietly how each situation feels for you, and basing your decision on those feelings that make you feel good, rather than feeling like a bandage covering something you don't want to feel.

Bottom line is that purchasing insurance is a responsible way of looking at your reality and creating it properly if your motives behind the purchase of it are not based on fear of something nasty occuring, but rather that should the unexpected occur, your family's needs are met, and that is a caring/loving thing to do.

If there is ANY feeling of resenting to have to purchase the insurance (especially for life or health insurance), then more than likely that is also based on an underlying fear that you are not in control of what is happening in your life - that is a fear you need to move beyond, not only for this particular situation, but for your overall enjoyment of life. As far as those other insurances you mentioned, some are just as necessary for the overall well-being of your family, and the same reasoning applies.

In most instances, purchasing insurance on electronic gadgets under $500.00 is a waste of money, and the fine print is generally so thick with exceptions that you'd need to hire a Harvard lawyer to sort it out in the end.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Unis

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 327
Member
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 327
Unis,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your positive perspective. In some sense, I suppose, i can view buying insurance as a way to contribute to the common good, since my premiums go into a larger pool which is meant to help people who truly are in need. So, even though I don't expect calamity to strike me, through the instrument of insurance, I can help others who are currently suffering through calamaity. Nice!

Best,

HF

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,089
Likes: 1
Learning Strategies Admin
Member
Learning Strategies Admin
Member

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,089
Likes: 1
Watch out for that other sneaky trance. If I buy insurance it's money lost because I don't really need insurance.

Since money is energy it can never be lost. You can block more coming your way by holding onto the trance that insurance is a limiting belief. You need to be able to let money go in order for it to move through your life.

Like you said you can see it as a gift to the global pool helping those who encountered a mishap and if you ever find yourself or family member in the same place you are a part of the global pool.

Alex

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 103
Member
Member

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 103
Thanks for all the positive responses. My initial response vascillated from the "waste of money don't really need it - they get rich off the premiums - you never really get your money back" to the "must have it or the worst will happen - if you don't you'll regret it and cause major calamities etc. AARGH!" (no extremes there then!)
I like the way that all the responses here have instead highlighted a positive and constructive way of looking at insurance and instead focus on how it can in fact help to contribute both to a sense of trust and responsibility in life and to an appreciation of the interdependence of the world - no man is an island after all.
Many thanks for the insight, it's helped me to reappraise a negative attitude I didn't even realise I had until it was brought up in this post!
lots of love
Ingrid :0)


Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.096s Queries: 24 (0.033s) Memory: 3.0049 MB (Peak: 3.5921 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 07:38:14 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS