Hi babayada
"to think like a child who wants to believe that wishing for pony hard enough will make the wish come true" - thank you for summing it up so well! I can even see the look of concentration, eyes closed, gritted teeth, clenched fists.
You're right - there needs to be a wider and more practical appreciation of how the world works - we may all project fields of energy - but we ALL do it. Each individual is not the centre of the universe - and unfortunately focusing on "I want, I want, I want" coupled with "I have the power, I have the power, I have the power" only reinforces that almost superstitious notion. And as you rightly state, doesn't necessarily follow up with any real action.
I know there is an emphasis in New Ageisms on the idea that you can't control others, you can only control yourself and your own reactions. But this is removed from a wider context, a context which actively appreciates that: I am reponsible TO everyone else in the world, not just FOR myself. Again, the focus on what "I" want becomes secondary. Also, by focusing on wanting external material things, you ARE in fact seeking to control factors beyond yourself, undermining essentially the original premise anyway.
Regarding the blending of religion/spirituality with science - you might enjoy a look at the Examining my Beliefs: Evolution and Creationism thread...
best wishes
Ingrid