Dear Jeanne,
I think that the FS train-of-thought is quite appropriate for this
discussion, too, because it is a timely object lesson in my life regarding
adherence to belief systems.
Oh, and I don't think FS is junk at all. I made an effort in that thread
to clearly state 5 core truths about FS which I truly appreciate, which
the respondents have helped me accept as worthy about the system. What I
do regard as junk, however, is all the extraneous rules and regulations
which have grown up around marketed systems of FS, things which ultimately
boil down to superstitions, which do not serve us well at all. Just
glance through the kinds of postings in that forum and tell me honestly
whether FS is helping to liberate or to bind people.
Here - I just came up with Feng Shui Principle #1 for Plumbers: To
achieve harmony with Mother Earth, all drainage pipes must flow DOWN.

Yes, I, too would love to see a fair, honest, double-blind study of FS,
something which I think can easily be done in an objective manner,
although we would fist have to decide which of dozens of FS systems to
test; there are so many!! But you know, even though SO many other ideas
and practices have been debunked by thorough, objective studies (e.g.
astrology, applied kinesiology, geomancy, numerology,
cloud-busting/rain-making, aural phenomenon, necromancy, to list just a
few), I doubt the results of research would do anything whatsoever to
someone who wants to believe in FS. I sense this strongly from the
interactions with those who responded to my thread: FS works for them,
and if science can't explain why, then science hasn't caught up to FS yet;
and, researchers can't be trusted, because they make the data say whatever
they want it to say. There's an old saying: "For those who have faith,
no evidence is needed; for those who do not have faith, no evidence is
sufficient."
The stage magicians, Penn and Teller have already recently conducted quite
a revealing examination of FS systems, which in hindsight is quite
beautiful in its simplicity: Hire three expert FS consultants and allow
them to individually arrange the furniture in a house. The result? All
three arranged the furniture differently! (You can get a copy of this
Showtime episode of their series which examines our popular beliefs;
Google: Penn, Teller, Feng Shui.) Contrast this with the solid
determinism which science offers: Hire three (or three thousand)
scientists (for a LOT less than what FS consultants charge, I might add),
and all of them will tell you exactly the same thing regarding how
electricity behaves and how to harness it for the benefit of mankind.
Regarding religion: You're absolutely right about the baby and the
bath-water, which is what Mr. Harris' central point is from the start:
Let's get rid of all the irrational stuff (the bath-water) which
constitutes the bulk of religion and continue the moral conversation using
21st century language, basing our beliefs and actions on what is rational
(the baby).
Best to you,
HF