Dear Grant,
I firmly agree that the true definition of being a "Christian" is someone
who "follows Christ" in the sense of following his example of love and
sacrifice. Defined that way, I personally know many who profess to be
Christian who are the furthest from Christ, and I also know many who are
nominally Buddhist who are true Christians. As Mr. Harris reminds us, one
can be a Christian in the truest sense of the word without having to
accept irrational notions about him (and without having to adopt his more
sour moods), things which can lead to extremism. I think if Christ were
alive today and saw what has been and is being done in his name, he would
slap us all on our collective faces and chastise us for the way we've
warped the heart of his message to advance our selfish interests. Does he
need to die again to save us? May the true spirit of Christ reside in us
all.
Best wishes,
HF