Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55626 08/11/06 04:44 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
I like to do body weight training in the morning after my usual qigong routine. I will be replacing the old qigong system with SFQ and SU meditation. Would it be better to do a strength workout just before SFQ, right after, or at a later time in the day? Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to this type of qigong.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aloha Christopher,

Master Lin recommends waiting 20-30 minutes before or after your qigong to let the energy settle in your system before doing something very strenuous like that.

Much Love, Shawn

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 474
Likes: 1
Member
Member

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 474
Likes: 1
Quote:


Master Lin recommends waiting 20-30 minutes before or after your qigong to let the energy settle in your system before doing something very strenuous like that.





Follow up question for clarification:

If indeed, Lin Sifu, "recommends waiting 20-20 minutes before or after your qigong" when doing exercise "very strenuous like that", how about for slow (only) T'ai Chi Ch'uan (I also have fast sets and weapons I can do, but that part obviously applies to the Lin Sifu's suggestion)?

I know this has been covered before and I also know we have a case here of "good, better best". I guess I sort of want to focus this like a laser beam. My impression is that it is not "best", since it seems to be always better to have that 30 minutes "cushion" on either side.

But is it "good" or "better" to do Tai Chi either right after or right before a SFQ set? And which might be "better" (again assuming neither is "best") : before or after?

And again, using the "good, better, best" scale, might ai rightly assume that if one cannot or does not wait 30 minutes (on either side), it still might be "better" than "good" to at least at least wait some interval, e.g. 10 minutes (with the 30 minutes or more still being "best")?

And finally, what about doing something like slow Tai Chi before SU ? Not a Chen form, but more like one of the long Yang forms--I practice most and most familiar with the Tung family Yang Style, my (longest studied with--5 years) teacher's (Marvin Smalheiser, long time publisher of T'AI CHI MAGAZINE and still my favorite T'ai Chi teacher after all these years and a bunch of other very good teachers) teacher is Kai YIng Tung and I am intending to sort of "return" to that school because there is a teacher and school in San Francisco, about a two hour drive from where I live and I think I need to get back a little deeper into my T'ai Chi Ch'uan for total fitness (I need to lose a good deal of weight, I think, to be a healthier).

I don't mean exclusively or instead of doing the Active Exercise before SU always, but more like sometimes. I used to do a lot of Zhan Zhuang, or standing meditation right after T'ai Chi and always felt that the T'ai Chi opened me up more to the inner work of meditation, in the same way that the Active Exercise does that for SU (or Self-Concentration).

See, I have a real problem with scheduling and organization. I have some kind of ADD and it is always hard for me to stay consistent. So the more things I can connect up in some ways, the easier it is for me to "touch all bases", as it were.

This feels like a related question to me so please excuse if it is actually off topic.

Thanks...

Steve


blessings,

Steve
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Learning Strategies
Member
Learning Strategies
Member

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,195
Likes: 4
Aloha shakurav/Steve,

There are times when Master Lin will do T'ai Chi as an active exercise before his sitting meditation.

Much Love, Shawn


Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.3.35 Page Time: 0.117s Queries: 22 (0.064s) Memory: 2.9970 MB (Peak: 3.5941 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 15:25:27 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS