Hi Unis;
I also have had good luck using dowsing with high tech pieces of copper wire similiar to your coat hanger method to locate underground power and water lines. Although I have never pursued it much beyond that, it did work very well for me when used.
I have a friend who's sister is very in tune using dowsing and very successful doing it. She claims that it is all beyond her and she just isn't able to do it. Myself I think it's matter of learning some basic rules and going from there.
So I pulled out my pedulum, that seems to travel with me, but rarely used. Her problem, she claims is that she cannot focus like her sister can so I had her write down a yes/no type question and hold the tip of the pen on the question.
Of course we did a calibration of the pendulum to see what a yes /no/whatever looked like first.
So she was able to get an answer to her question which she was just amazed about. She was really doing it. A kid in a candy store.
So I thought I might see if there were some simple references I could find for her to study.
Plus I always find it an interesting subject.
Thanks again for your stories.
Jeff