From a question on another thread regarding Enlightenment, the following is an experience that happened to me and I consider it a very Enlightening lesson.
From what I have gathered, usually finding Enlightenment is not so much being in meditation but in a real life experience.
About 10 years ago I was fairly active training Aikido. My Sensei was getting old and would be turning the Dojo over to a Younger Sensei. We all knew who that would be and really no one approved. I was influenced myself against him.
In my meditations I received many "messages", as Master Lin would call them, to just let this go. I did not. I was upset and would not let it go. I wanted to know why I should let this go and gave that message back to the Universe.
Well, ask and you shall receive.
So we fast forward to another place and time, I have left the Dojo but still having the occasional skirmish. Many of my old training partners stay in touch and we have regular rants.
One day I am at work on the ship and there is an emergency repair that has to be made. Also we have a relief engineer on board who is young and inexperienced.
I lay out how the repair is to be made with some comments from my group of regulars. My Boss is there. This Relief starts challenging me why things are to be this way, when we could do it much faster another way. He is very irritating. My Boss is looking at me for an answer.
We could have done it another way, although I only like to make a repair once and what he proposed would require addressing the same problem many times. And he was very irritating.
I am trying to dream up a diplomatic answer to give while my boss is there when a "message" comes through and I just say it.
"We are doing it this way because I am the 1st Engineer, when you are the 1st we will do it your way. Right now it's my turn!"
At that point it seemed that time stopped and I went someplace else. God was there, all my teachers were there, the place glowed beautiful of a mystic aura. They were all smiling at me. And while many things made sense at that moment I reflected on the new Aikido Sensei I had battled with and that it was now "His turn".
My arrogant question to the Universe was answered in an experiencial way that I will never forget.
It seemed God and my Teachers all went to have coffee after they saw that I had "Got It" because I was right back on the job without missing a beat.
My Boss smiled and walked off, everyone went to work. I sent a silent message to those I had just seen. "You guys are pretty good, thanks" (for the lesson).
After arriving home I called my Aikido friends and told them of this story.
It did change things and support was raised for the new management. We are always stronger when together as friends.
Aloha
Jeff