Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Learning Strategies Admin

dmlocke, learn the system first on some non-technical books. And check your purpose. If you're not getting anything from Superreading then you may not have a mind probing question for that section.

If you are working through a book that you must read for school or learning. Figure out what you are require to know. So you have your purpose I need to know this or that so that I can pass and have a great career in.

Then one way to work through textbooks systematically is to use precision question. Turn chapter heading and subheading into questions so you have something to answer as Superread and dip or skitter.

Skittering takes way longer you can spend 30 to a minute on a page. Don't worry too much about how long per page. Apply the system and you will go much faster than traditional reading of 5 minutes per technical page.

Alex

Question

So 30 minutes is spent on each chapter... is that like a 30 page, large textbook size book chapter or a sorta paperback small book kinda chapter? just so I can kind of get the gist of time distribution.

And when super reading or skittering, they're both kind of like photoreading because the purpose is to relay the message directly to the subconscious mind? I'm asking because it seems like I shouldn't really be reading anything in particular, and kind of wait until the mind-mapping part when everything starts coming together.

Thanks,
Simon

Last edited by __Simon; 08/09/07 07:45 PM.
__Simon #58601 08/13/07 02:53 AM

i remember a passage in the book that says that we have to superread without preocupate with comprehension.. whats this about? if we pass rapidly trough a text how we will comprehend the text?

__Simon #58602 08/16/07 11:10 PM

Quote:

Question

So 30 minutes is spent on each chapter... is that like a 30 page, large textbook size book chapter or a sorta paperback small book kinda chapter? just so I can kind of get the gist of time distribution.

It is for 30 minutes on a chapter. A textbook chapter with about 30 pages. Remember with textbooks you will spend more time than a conventional book.You will be doing numerous passes with textbooks.

And when super reading or skittering, they're both kind of like photoreading because the purpose is to relay the message directly to the subconscious mind? I'm asking because it seems like I shouldn't really be reading anything in particular, and kind of wait until the mind-mapping part when everything starts coming together.

No superreading and skittering is nothing like photoreading. With superreading and skittering you are using the conscious mind. With photoreading you are exposing the book to the other than conscious mind. You should be reading something with superreading. You read when you dip to see if a particular sentence or word has something to do with your purpose.You are definitely reading when you skitter.

Photoread4me

Thanks,
Simon

Hi Simon.

It is for 30 minutes for a textbook chapter with 30 pages. And remember with a textbook you will be doing numerous, multiple passes since it is a textbook and it will naturally take longer than just a regular book.

No superreading and skittering is nothing like photoreading. With superreading and skittering you are using the conscious mind. With photoreading you are exposing the book to the other than conscious mind. You should be reading something with superreading. You read when you dip to see if a particular sentence or word has something to do with your purpose.When you are superreading you are not reading you are scanning. You do read when you dip. You definitely are reading when skittering.You read the first and last sentence of the paragraph and you bounce all over the paragraph.

Photoread4me

Thanks for the clarification Photoread4me

flamerozzy #58605 09/17/07 02:59 PM

Quote:

i remember a passage in the book that says that we have to superread without preocupate with comprehension.. whats this about? if we pass rapidly trough a text how we will comprehend the text?

You are answering your mind probing questions. If you don't have a question when you start activating you are saying don't need an answer or conscious comprehension.

Alex

Hello from Estonia!

I have a question: Why do we need Super reading? As i read, its only purpose is to know where the information is. It is very useful, but when i am writing an exam there will be no book that i can use!

Best wishes,
AndriDem

AndriDem #58607 12/28/07 08:09 PM

Oh! I have some questions too...
1)Should i write all the triggers down(As i understood triggers are words which have an important meaning), cause it would take a lot of time if it is a history book, for example.
2)Before i super read and dip, i need to have the question in my mind?
3)Why do we need the purpose for? Do we have to put our purposes in the questions, that we want to be answered?
4)Why do we need mind maps? It is just a bunch of words drawn in a scheme. I assume we should remember the text watching the trigger words that we've put on the mind map? But how? From nothing - comes nothing!
5) And how should i feel when i have found a place to dip in?
6) And how can a purpose change?

P.S Sorry for my poor english. It is the third language that i've learned.

Last edited by AndriDem; 12/28/07 08:39 PM.
AndriDem #58608 03/27/08 11:47 AM

Superreading and dipping is to strengthen the neural networks and a path to your long term memory so you can have recall. You cannot recall upon something that you haven't called upon in the first place. SR&D is that first call.

Quote:

h! I have some questions too...
1)Should i write all the triggers down(As i understood triggers are words which have an important meaning), cause it would take a lot of time if it is a history book, for example.

Yes write down 18 to 25 trigger words.
Quote:

2)Before i super read and dip, i need to have the question in my mind?

Yes... otherwise why bother? You want to satisfy your purpose so ask questions.

Quote:

3)Why do we need the purpose for?

For active reading.

Quote:

Do we have to put our purposes in the questions, that we want to be answered?

A purpose leads curiosity. curiosity leads to questions, questions lead to answers

Quote:

4)Why do we need mind maps? It is just a bunch of words drawn in a scheme.

It pulls you out of the passive reading habit.

Quote:

I assume we should remember the text watching the trigger words that we've put on the mind map?

Should? Why?
Quote:

But how? From nothing - comes nothing!

Fxactly, that's why you need a purpose. When you have a purpose you have something and from something comes more.

Quote:

5) And how should i feel when i have found a place to dip in?

How did you come to know when you need to eat? Pay attention to the messages from your body and mind. That's how you know.
Quote:

6) And how can a purpose change?

You decide... (that's the answer... it's your decision when you change your purpose.)

AlexK

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved