Being successful is not about being perfect nor about not having made mistakes in the past or having other failures, I think it is really more about how one responds to mistakes, failures and adversity.

The founder of IBM reportedly said, "Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't as all. You can be discouraged by failure -- or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you will find success." -- Thomas J. Watson, Sr.

My impression is that his writings on the law of attraction are more recent i.e. mostly since his latest marriage. If he's happy now in his marriage then why not count it as being successful in that area. And couldn't his history be interpreted as a sign that his program might work or at least a reason to be optimistic about it ... after all if a man with a past history of 2 divorces can find success in relationship, then why not anyone?